Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a call today from a guy in San Diego whose RMO just cashed out and moved to Texas. This guy's business is doing quick cosmetic jobs on bank-owned houses so they can be listed in decent showing condition.

He needs an RMO, and has offered $1000 up front, and $350 a month for me to be the RMO. As I understand it, to be legal, I would need to show 20% ownership in his corporation, and have a certain amount of hands-on involvement in each project. He's telling me that is not altogether correct.

Thoughts? other than run like Gump?

·
Calif Licensing Expert
2,011 Posts
Which part is incorrect? The 20% is correct if you're going to be listed on any other active license. The payment structure is totally up for negotiation.

And you'll definitely want to be involved in every project done under his license. The cslb is looking into RMO's that are qualifying more than one license.

Note, that if his license has any issues, problems, liens, lawsuits, it will also affect any other license you are listed on.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks LG. This guy wants to skirt the laws as they pertain to RMOs and just wing it, as he did with the last guy who was an RMO for him. If I did this, I would want to do it legally across the board, and that doesn't seem to be how he wants to do it.

In fact, the LLC that he is operating currently has no contractor's license since his RMO pulled out.

I'm in Los Angeles, he's in San Diego, that means I would have no involvement in the projects at all, so that right there is a disqualifier.

Thanks for the confirmation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts