Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is an upcoming Ritchie Brothers auction selling government equipment near me. They have a few Bobcat 873s and 250s I am interested in. I have never been to an auction, any advice/stuff to watch out for/recommendations? Thanks!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Set a number in your head, you can go to machinerytrader.com and look up auction prices on machines. Richie bros. gets a premium price for pretty much every piece I have ever seen sold at there auctions. They have a ton of people that come to all the sales. Make sure you look them over good, they are huge on painting equipment before they sell it.

We've bought most of our equipment at auctions but never from richie, always high to me. Do as much homework as you can before you go and you should have a idea what the machines should go for, stick to your number there is always another sale. Kind of a crap shoot, we've lost some and found some good deals. Got to take the good with the bad.

Look around the area for other auctions though, we do much better with the smaller guys and you can usually get a little background on the machines.

·
Contractor
7,675 Posts
Don't get caught up in the bidding, even with online auctions it can become a pi$$ing contest and you end up overspending...

With Gov. auctions, there is pretty much no way of figuring out what condition the equipment is in.

I bought a generator a while back, it looked a little rough, was the lowest bid gen out of several because of its age...turned out to have been recently serviced and was in top condition....but as far as I knew during the bidding process, it could have had a blown engine......

You have to weigh the risk, and make your own decisions when it comes to auctions. Sometimes you kiss the frog and it becomes a princess, sometimes you get a toad.... :sad:

·
Vagitarian
3,589 Posts
We go to RB in Northeast, MD all the time. We have purchased many things from there and have had very good luck and very good deals. You need to look over the equipment very carefully and try them out. Some people use RB to dump their junk. Prices seem to be going high there over the past couple years because new equipment is very expensive. Plus the online bidding and the exporters drive up the prices. Good luck !!

·
Registered
11,558 Posts
We go to RB in Northeast, MD all the time. We have purchased many things from there and have had very good luck and very good deals. You need to look over the equipment very carefully and try them out. Some people use RB to dump their junk. Prices seem to be going high there over the past couple years because new equipment is very expensive. Plus the online bidding and the exporters drive up the prices. Good luck !!
Wow, Wilkes Barre, PA to there? Must be good. Since you get down that way, do you happen to know anything about that public auto auction further down 40? As bad as any other, or is it off the beaten path enough to be worth a gamble?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I've had very good luck with government auctions (I purchased my pickup from the feds and my hooklift truck from a municipality). They generally take care of the equipment/vehicles as the maintenance money is not theirs. Also, they tend to declare problems prior to the auction.

RB, on the other hand, will not declare any problems so it's 100% buyer beware. I went to one RB auction and the maintenance worker their whispered in my ear that the whole lot of backhoes/excavators I was looking at had come from Hawaii and been repainted but the wiring and internals were heavily corroded. They looked perfect from the outside. That turned me off RB forever. You don't know where it came from or the true condition and there is no way you could fully inspect every item.

In a government auction that equipment would have never been repainted and it would likely have a tag line "stationed near salt water, wiring has corrosion".

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I drive by the auction site everyday and NONE of the equipment is re-painted, although I have heard of RB painting stuff. I am going to stop by and inspect the units prior to auction day.

@ SaltyBagel- what's a buyers premium?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I drive by the auction site everyday and NONE of the equipment is re-painted, although I have heard of RB painting stuff. I am going to stop by and inspect the units prior to auction day.

@ SaltyBagel- what's a buyers premium?
Normally at an auction the buyer pays a % of the total cost in addition to the selling price to pay for the auction house. Other times it's a fixed price. It will be outlined in the pamphlet that the auction house hands you when you register.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I read that on their website. Got it.
I like that idea... I think I'm going to start charging my clients a "Buyer's Premium" for choosing ESS.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Yes, I read that on their website. Got it.
I like that idea... I think I'm going to start charging my clients a "Buyer's Premium" for choosing ESS.
The auction house has to make money some how, that's the core concept of a business.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Glad you could find something there, everything I want seems to start at my stopping point. Maybe I'm just cheap though. We're going to run into each other at one of these things at some point.

These rb auctions are quite a site to see though if you've never been. They know how to do an auction with the stadium seating and huge drive up windows. The ones just south of Orlando in the winter are unreal, so much iron in one spot.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I'm pretty sure all RB sites have their own paint booths. They don't really do any maintenance, just pretty much clean up and paint.

I prefer to but used equipment from the equipment suppliers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just recently bought our second bobtail from Bar None Auctions here in CA. Make sure to inspect the equipment/vehicle prior to buying, if you can that is. The smog regulations here in this state forced us to buy an ex CalTrans truck that was already equipped with a DPF filter/motor upgrade. Great running truck, and a killer deal.

·
Vagitarian
3,589 Posts
Glad you could find something there, everything I want seems to start at my stopping point. Maybe I'm just cheap though. We're going to run into each other at one of these things at some point.

These rb auctions are quite a site to see though if you've never been. They know how to do an auction with the stadium seating and huge drive up windows. The ones just south of Orlando in the winter are unreal, so much iron in one spot.
Well, it has been quite a few years since we bought machine from there. But we do buy alot of smaller stuff. I just picked up a brand new Strickland 36" bucket for our Cat 315 for $1,400. Came with the pins too. Strickland is a new company. The owner is a former partner with Geith and he builds his buckets to the same specs. We have a 18" one for our Kobelco 115. Bought it brand new from the dealer for $2,200.

I am not too keen on the timed auctions for RB. It is just like ebay and you can get outbid at the last second. Like I said before RB is a dumping ground from junk equipment. What I do is look at equipment that has company stickers on them. Usually companies will downsize and take their equipment there. You can tell how machines are maintained by looking a several of their pieces.

You go to any Hunyady actions Moxley ?? They are pretty very well run auctions and they tell you what is wrong with the equipment. We get alot of good deals there too. Over the winter we picked up a Target walk-beind saw with a 65hp wisconsin motor on a trailer for $1,200.

·
Registered
555 Posts
You go to any Hunyady actions Moxley ?? They are pretty very well run auctions and they tell you what is wrong with the equipment. We get alot of good deals there too. Over the winter we picked up a Target walk-beind saw with a 65hp wisconsin motor on a trailer for $1,200.[/QUOTE]

They did one in Frederick a few years ago and I signed up but didn't buy anything. They seem to do a good job, I do get all there auction adds though. Lot of stuff in pa but haven't been to one lately.

I usually don't pay a whole lot of attention to the smaller stuff at the sales, probably pretty dumb. There does seem to be some good deals on some of the smaller stuff. How big of a blade will that saw hold? We could use a bigger walk behind for some of our roadwork, I used a sub for anything over 5-6" deep.

·
Vagitarian
3,589 Posts
You go to any Hunyady actions Moxley ?? They are pretty very well run auctions and they tell you what is wrong with the equipment. We get alot of good deals there too. Over the winter we picked up a Target walk-beind saw with a 65hp wisconsin motor on a trailer for $1,200.
They did one in Frederick a few years ago and I signed up but didn't buy anything. They seem to do a good job, I do get all there auction adds though. Lot of stuff in pa but haven't been to one lately.

I usually don't pay a whole lot of attention to the smaller stuff at the sales, probably pretty dumb. There does seem to be some good deals on some of the smaller stuff. How big of a blade will that saw hold? We could use a bigger walk behind for some of our roadwork, I used a sub for anything over 5-6" deep.[/QUOTE]

We mainly go for the smaller stuff. Lifting chains, clevices, pumps, road plates, trench boxes,etc. The saw will handle a 30" blade. We also bought at the auction a brand new 30" diamond bland in the box for $400. Same auction bought a trailer load of erosion blanket for $150. In that pile were 2 rolls of pyramat that I need for a job which are $1,000 per roll.

I should stop giving away my secret :jester:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm pretty sure all RB sites have their own paint booths. They don't really do any maintenance, just pretty much clean up and paint.
They just set this one up in a field, no paint booth. They rolled in a double wide for an office, and about thirty flags along the road. Every day DGNs drop off State of Texas equipment.
Judging from the website, I have picked out $100-200K worth of crap I want: Bobcats, trailers, excavators, brooms, scissors, reach booms..... I'm gonna need a bigger yard.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts