How long?

Tapered?

How thick?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ripping round columns

Hey Gus, thanks for the reply. The columns are inch and a quart thick, 8 feet long.not tapered.Just need to make a jig for table saw or circular saw. Thanks.

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
could you get a local lumber yard to rip them for ya? I know here our yard will rip stuff down for ya they have da big saws :laughing:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ripping wood columns

Have to purchase these at Home Depot , no one else have them in stock.There is a time issue and cost a cost issue , so I have to do.I am sure a jig can be made.Thanks

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Can you not just attach 8" square blocks on the ends and run them out on a table extention? Or build a solid frame around them and cut them?

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I would build a plywood box with 10' sheet goods that the column could slip into.

The top of the box tack a fence for your skill saw so the cut is down the middle.

Get the idea yet?

Cut, rotate, cut.

Obviously you need to register the column correctly both times but I'm sure you can handle that.

I might not cut all the way through both ends so the column keeps shape and finish it off with a hand saw after both cuts are made.

I hope this helps

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I would build a plywood box with 10' sheet goods that the column could slip into.

The top of the box tack a fence for your skill saw so the cut is down the middle.

Get the idea yet?

Cut, rotate, cut.

Obviously you need to register the column correctly both times but I'm sure you can handle that.

I might not cut all the way through both ends so the column keeps shape and finish it off with a hand saw after both cuts are made.

I hope this helps
That's why Gus makes the big dough!:notworthy

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
I'd free hand it with the old
Disston 5½ point rip saw, and
cut both sides at once. :cheesygri

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Roy Underhill is my friend. :notworthy

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
You damn old timers!!
On the good side of getting old is all the knowledge and wisdom you acquire.

Unfortunately one of the down sides is that you can gather your scrotum up like a prom dress.

Some good some not so good.

Reactions: Meetre

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
On the good side of getting old is all the knowledge and wisdom you acquire.

Unfortunately one of the down sides is that you can gather your scrotum up like a prom dress.

Some good some not so good.
Glad we didn't attend the same prom. :w00t:

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
I have done the square block and long table but all the while I am thinking this cut just needs to be clean not straight, they will fit back together regardless...right???
True, but if the saw doesn't track
you remove extra material from the kerf.

·
Tech Geek
2,654 Posts
I've done it with a single rip of plywood. Make it the same length and diameter as the column exterior, lay the column on a flat surface, stand the plywood next to the column and screw it to the side of the column.

Measure to the center and adjust your TS fence. Put the plywood against your TS fence and rip the column, then flip the fence to the other side of the blade (same measurement) and rotate the column so the ply is once again sitting on the fence and finish the rip. Done.

Or...snap a chalk line and eyeball it with a circular saw.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts