Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Punching above his weight
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Seriously try BM Advance. Don't make me say it again. :no:
You're on.

Ripping through the downstairs this week. I'll try advance for upstairs. Currently using SuperHide. Tried to get SuperSpec, but that turned into some low VOC UltraSpec that doesn't cover as well or stick as well. Only thing I will say about the UltraSpec is that the open time is awesome. I can walk away, eat a sandwich, return a phone call, forget what I was doing, remember, finally find my brush after 30 minutes and it's still smooth as can be.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,747 Posts
If you want something that sticks go with SW Duration. I did my bathroom over and I got a single drop in my fiberglass bathtub. I didn't even clean it up because it'll just wash away eventually.

2 years later it's still there. Amazing.

·
Registered
13,415 Posts
You're on.

Ripping through the downstairs this week. I'll try advance for upstairs. Currently using SuperHide. Tried to get SuperSpec, but that turned into some low VOC UltraSpec that doesn't cover as well or stick as well. Only thing I will say about the UltraSpec is that the open time is awesome. I can walk away, eat a sandwich, return a phone call, forget what I was doing, remember, finally find my brush after 30 minutes and it's still smooth as can be.
Advance is a 30 day coalesce.

It flows very well, almost to well. You have to watch for runs.

A nylon brush works better than polyester with Advance and Aura in my opinion.

SW is my go to, ProClassic Waterborne Acrylic Enamel first for trim, Duration is very good. Emerald is nice also.

Tom

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Advance is a 30 day coalesce.

It flows very well, almost to well. You have to watch for runs.

A nylon brush works better than polyester with Advance and Aura in my opinion.

SW is my go to, ProClassic Waterborne Acrylic Enamel first for trim, Duration is very good. Emerald is nice also.

Tom
All of the paints that you mention from SW are very good. I would use them, but SW has pissed me off with their pricing and service so I try not to use them. No reason for somebody else not to though.

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
All of the paints that you mention from SW are very good. I would use them, but SW has pissed me off with their pricing and service so I try not to use them. No reason for somebody else not to though.
Don't like their spinning price wheel? Buy the same item 4 different times in a week and get 4 different prices

·
Registered
13,415 Posts
I've never experienced the price issue with SW. I did experience very poor service and stopped using the SW products. A new store opened, new field rep, cold called me. I told him the service sucked that's why I left. He promised great service and has delivered for the last 4 years.

Tom

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
We have had no pricing issues and no bad service.

We did have an issue with getting Kem Aqua but only because I was misguided by someone. Once we had a rep that was actively keeping up with us and making sure we were taken care of that issue got addressed and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Advance for trim, doors and cabinets really is awesome. Expensive and yes, runs very easily, and takes absolutely forever to truly harden (a month or more).

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,747 Posts
You mean the wheel of pricing game?

Come on in and spin the pricing wheel! We might sell it to you at $23 a gallon or $62 a gallon, come on up and take your chance....:whistling

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
You do have to be careful when spraying Advance. If I'm spraying door and window jambs, I go through the whole house and spray just the edge of the casing. Then I go back and spray the jamb from one side in one motion. Start at the floor, up one side, across the top, and down the other side. Do the same for the casing, and then repeat for the other side of the doorway. I found that if I sprayed the edges at the same time, I would get runs in the corners. I have never had a run while brushing, and it flows like glass.

It is best to use a good primer, especially if brushing because if it soaks into the wood it will dry too fast. I brushed some MDF yesterday over the factory primer and it was not good. I wished I had re-primed it before painting it, although I'm sure that two coats of Advance would have worked as well. If I only have a few bare pieces, I just put two coats of Advance on it and it looks great.

There are several threads here that mention that Stix primer and Advance is an unbeatable combination. I'm going to try that on my next job.

I'm not going to bash SW anymore at this time, because there are plenty of threads here that serve that purpose well. :whistling

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
If you want something that sticks go with SW Duration. I did my bathroom over and I got a single drop in my fiberglass bathtub. I didn't even clean it up because it'll just wash away eventually.

2 years later it's still there. Amazing.
I painted a the outside of a house with Duration when things were slow, and I had to buy a wire brush and clean my brush at lunch time or the brush wasn't worth using after lunch. I was really impressed with how durable it was. The client told my wife years later that it was the best paint job that their house had ever had.

My dad was a painting contractor, and I was raised with a brush in my hand. Around 30 years ago I built my first house and never looked back. I continued to paint my own projects (spec houses), but refused to work directly with people. Lately I've tried hiring out my painting work, but honestly the quality isn't there. So, I've been reading a lot here on the forums and learning about the new products, and what others find work best for them. It's a whole different game than it used to be, but I don't miss spraying oil based paint.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I really don't know what to do about this.

I've been using Ben Moore Regal for my entire life. Regal Semi Gloss White is the greatest paint ever made.

My suppliers have stopped carrying it as BM isn't producing it. Today I bought their 3 remaining gallons of SG White, just to have them. Is that weird? They will only be used on my house. Nobody else is sponge-worthy enough.

I guess now I have to find a new paint to paint with? This is so weird. First Super Spec turns into Ultra Spec, then they take Regal away from me? Do you even want my business?

Sorry for complaining. Among my circle of friends I'm the only tradesman. Aside from CT I have nobody else I can talk to about how crushing this is to me.
45 years painting contractor here.
I agree whole heartily. The Regal Classic/Aqua-Glo without a doubt was the best semi-gloss ever formulated and I have used it for all of my professional career, and I don't get why they discontinued it. I have tried and tested on different jobs over the last few months, the Aura semi, Regal select semi, Advance semi, Scuff-x semi, Ben semi, and Ultraspec semi, and none of them compare to the Regal Classic. Hands down, the Regal Classic was the best latex semi-gloss ever. This is what Benjamin Moore says "Regal® Classic has been discontinued, however, Regal® Select offers the same reliable performance and results across all sheens" THIS. IS. AN. OUTRIGHT. LIE! What a dumb marketing move. I have decided to take my $25,000.00 per year in paint purchases elsewhere just for the general principle. Benjamin Moore sucks now.

·
Registered
13,415 Posts
45 years painting contractor here.
I agree whole heartily. The Regal Classic/Aqua-Glo without a doubt was the best semi-gloss ever formulated and I have used it for all of my professional career, and I don't get why they discontinued it. I have tried and tested on different jobs over the last few months, the Aura semi, Regal select semi, Advance semi, Scuff-x semi, Ben semi, and Ultraspec semi, and none of them compare to the Regal Classic. Hands down, the Regal Classic was the best latex semi-gloss ever. This is what Benjamin Moore says "Regal® Classic has been discontinued, however, Regal® Select offers the same reliable performance and results across all sheens" THIS. IS. AN. OUTRIGHT. LIE! What a dumb marketing move. I have decided to take my $25,000.00 per year in paint purchases elsewhere just for the general principle. Benjamin Moore sucks now.
Most probably an EPA issue. They may of had to reformulate to meet some new reg (back in '17) and rather than sully the name they did a rename. '17 saw a lot of paint formulas changed by the manufactures.

Tom

·
Registered
12,871 Posts
Yeah. Ppg bought Gliden Gripper and ruined it. It doesn't stick to anything now. It used to be a solution to any problem.

Now, it says to do all the stuff you do with any regular primer. Sand, scuff, clean, etc.

Used to just be able to spray, roll or brush and go.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
GC/carpenter
43,965 Posts
Yeah. Ppg bought Gliden Gripper and ruined it. It doesn't stick to anything now. It used to be a solution to any problem.

Now, it says to do all the stuff you do with any regular primer. Sand, scuff, clean, etc.

Used to just be able to spray, roll or brush and go.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
That sucks because that was my goto primer.

Mike.
___

21 - 40 of 40 Posts