Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Punching above his weight
12,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really don't know what to do about this.

I've been using Ben Moore Regal for my entire life. Regal Semi Gloss White is the greatest paint ever made.

My suppliers have stopped carrying it as BM isn't producing it. Today I bought their 3 remaining gallons of SG White, just to have them. Is that weird? They will only be used on my house. Nobody else is sponge-worthy enough.

I guess now I have to find a new paint to paint with? This is so weird. First Super Spec turns into Ultra Spec, then they take Regal away from me? Do you even want my business?

Sorry for complaining. Among my circle of friends I'm the only tradesman. Aside from CT I have nobody else I can talk to about how crushing this is to me.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,736 Posts
They took Honeycomb away from me. Made it new and improved. Might as well be a box of dirt.

I feel for ya.

·
Punching above his weight
12,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't get the hyper obsession with drying time. Why do you want that? I want to be able to put the paint on the wall, work it smooth, then move along my line. Why do I want this paint/primer slop that dries to the touch in seconds? If I have to field a phone call my pan has skimmed over by the time I'm back. God forbid you have to paint a window sash or a door anywhere near direct sunlight. The stuff is in little gumballs by the time you even bring the brush to the work surface.

This is like if Bostitch took nails away. "Oh, we use these plastic wiggly worm fasteners now. They're plastic, which means they last forever. Sure they suck to use, but who cares? You can fire 100 per second!"

·
Registered
Remodel
31,167 Posts
Work faster, it makes it easier to del with the paint, and boosts your hourly take. Unless you're working T&M, in which case use a paint that's nothing but fiddly.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,167 Posts
I loved Kilz Original when it had a 1 hr dry time. Get in, get it on, recoat, maybe second recoat same day, done.

The only caveat is it has to dry slower than you can work.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
We don't use Regal much, I wasn't aware it was going away. My supplier doesn't carry much of it but for water based trim paint I really like the waterborne Impervo.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Sucks doesn't it, part of the reason I left SW. They would give me 2 gallons every time a new product came out, no thanks how about stop changing the formula on the products I do like.

I have yet to find a trim paint I really like, they dry instantly or half way instantly. The exact opposite of what we aimed to achieve in the days of oil base, flowed beautifully and dried slowly and as smooth as glass.

·
Registered
12,870 Posts
I thought it was just me. Painting trim used to be enjoyable. Nice smooth brush strokes, flowing paint that just glided on.

Now it is a chore. Just trying to fade one brush stroke into the last set causes it to streak. Adding a bit of water used to help,now it doesn't most times.

It must be all this low VOC paint.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,736 Posts

·
Registered
11,559 Posts
This might work in our favor, even though we have to keep ahead of the tricks and products to use. If it were too easy (like anything else), we'd be in worse shape.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,167 Posts
I'm still pining for the days when you soaked your natural bristle brush in Boiled linseed oil, cleaned it, and let it dry before you ever used it for painting. And the little tab on the ferrule? You could use those to tighten the ferrule if it started to get loose.

Not...

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
It's not practical to keep making paint the same way as the material supply chain changes constantly. Regal was my go-to paint 20 years ago but there are plenty of good alternatives.

I remember when Pratt & Lambert went from being great paint to being pudding in one year.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,736 Posts
I like BM Impervo. I like the oil better than the waterborne. But that's getting impossible to find. For a waterborne it dries to slow.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts