Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

This is my first post and I'm pretty glad to have found this site, I hope someone here can answer my (probably, pretty dumb) questions.

I am a landscape contractor and I usually work on older houses with all brick walls. I am currently needing to attach a small landing for a spiral staircase to a newer house with a brick veneer. The joists are TGI and are running in the same direction as the wall that I am attaching to. My plan is to reinforce the area where the landing will go and put some threaded rod though the rim joist(?) and out the brick so I can bolt my landing against it.

My questions are as follows:

Do rim joists run around the whole building or just at the joist ends?

can I reinforce a tgi joist with blocking? would I just fill in the cavity with a 2x? to support the threaded rod?

any other ideas on how to achieve this?

Thanks,

Jason

·
Pro
506 Posts
Hi,

This is my first post and I'm pretty glad to have found this site, I hope someone here can answer my (probably, pretty dumb) questions.

I am a landscape contractor and I usually work on older houses with all brick walls. I am currently needing to attach a small landing for a spiral staircase to a newer house with a brick veneer. The joists are TGI and are running in the same direction as the wall that I am attaching to. My plan is to reinforce the area where the landing will go and put some threaded rod though the rim joist(?) and out the brick so I can bolt my landing against it.

My questions are as follows:

Do rim joists run around the whole building or just at the joist ends?

can I reinforce a tgi joist with blocking? would I just fill in the cavity with a 2x? to support the threaded rod?

any other ideas on how to achieve this?

Thanks,

Jason
end-blocking with wood i-beams can be achieved in a number of different ways. it would be totally up to whoever framed the house in question. i personally run continuous rim and back it with a tji on walls parallel to framing.
that being said, you really don't need to go nuts trying to secure the landing. the center pole is what carries the stair. if you get a big enough bottom plate on the center pole and bolt it to your footing you can almost have this thing free-standing with little movement (depending on the height of course).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick reply's.

The basement is finished but I am planning on taking a section of drywall out to do the work.

I agree with what you said about the center pole and I am putting some faith in it anyway (the stairs are only about 8' high) but I do need to attach the landing to the house and am a bit paranoid about tearing the brick off.

It sounds like I am on the right track and there are no alarm bells. Can I stack wood into the TGI cavity for support and block it between joists without any issues?

Thanks again for the answers.

Jason

·
Pro
506 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply's.

The basement is finished but I am planning on taking a section of drywall out to do the work.

I agree with what you said about the center pole and I am putting some faith in it anyway (the stairs are only about 8' high) but I do need to attach the landing to the house and am a bit paranoid about tearing the brick off.

It sounds like I am on the right track and there are no alarm bells. Can I stack wood into the TGI cavity for support and block it between joists without any issues?

Thanks again for the answers.

Jason
i'd use 1" rod and go thru the first bay and block solid on either side. if you're going to go through the trouble might as well put some heavy duty rod in and let it have some meat in the house. the only thing you want to avoid is hacking the flange of the i-beams. you should be good in the middle third of the web. (height-wise).
i'd say it's overkill, but there's nothing wrong with overkilling if you're worried about it. peace of mind is price-less :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts