Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here's the deal. I just bought a brand new 18v cordless drill in a kit with 2 batteries and a cordless saw and flashlight. it is under 3 weeks old and already my drill has been killed and both batteries are dead and haven't been able to be recharged. Has this happened to anyone and does anyone have suggestions on what I should use?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I'd start out by using the warrantee. Everything that I've heard and read put Ridgid up near the top. I like Makita but will be trying out a DeWalt soon. Consumer Reports rated Panasonic #1 but I can't find anyplace that sells them and I am real leery about buying power tools on the web.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Teetor, take my word for it - - DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT buy a DeWalt cordless drill. My old ones are top notch, so I bought 2 new ones less than a year ago - - - GARBAGE, absolute GARBAGE! I'll sell you both new ones for $40 each, but you're better off just lighting your money on fire, you'll save on the shipping costs.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Thanks Tom, I went to Panasonics site and discovered that the last good ol' hardware store in town is a dealer so I'm off to buy a new toy.
It's now 6:25 here and I'm about to start reading the owners manual on my new drill/driver. I'll let you know how things go.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hmm i am suprised you had trouble with Dewalt. Mine is pretty old and still working as new.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dewalt Moved to Mexico

Tom R said:
Teetor, take my word for it - - DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT buy a DeWalt cordless drill. My old ones are top notch, so I bought 2 new ones less than a year ago - - - GARBAGE, absolute GARBAGE! I'll sell you both new ones for $40 each, but you're better off just lighting your money on fire, you'll save on the shipping costs.
Dewalts new line of cordless I believe is now coming out of thier new plants in Mexico. Should say on the tool. A lot of their Baltimore operation was shut down

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Panasonic drill/driver update. It still operates like new and I have one employee, I worked with him today, that is still afraid of it. The battery pack whacked him in the head while installing hurricane shutters, caused a body fluid leak. He was driling a 1-1/8" hole today and being most careful. LOL

·
Registered
9 Posts
Panasonic is the best! I find that when they do break...they have a great service center. Dewalt--NO Panasonic--YES!

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
I just got a new Dewalt DW515 hammer drill last week, the old one took a crap.

My help used it at the end of last week to set lags, it got hung, help got his arms tied in a knot just after a drill handle/tyson shot to the jaw.

Help's a little more cautious now a days.

Bob

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I gave up on Dewalt cordless years ago, the actual tool itself held up great to many roof slides/ladder falls-only broke 2 drills in half, other than that just cracked cases that some duct tape took care of:) BUT, I had the worst luck with battery life, they worked great about 2-3 months outta box, then they just went to ********************. I even made a "de-charging" station like when I used to play with R/C cars to completely wipe out the battery. Same thing, short batt. life.

Dewalt corded tools I love. I ahve the 12" Miter which is still working flawwlessly after 8 yrs no repairs and gets's slung in and outta the truck alot. The table saw is friggin baaad azzz!! Very accurate, durable, light, I love it and so does everybody else that's used it-it's every bit as good as the $800 Delta gramps has in his wood working shop that weighs as much as a car!! I found the opposite true with Craftsman tools....if they had a cord attached they were short lived and in the trash very quickly. I used to buy 2 or 3 of those $200 table saws for guys to carry with them and they worked for a few months then burned up motors-new motor $150 plus shipping :eek: new saw $200. Finally bought the Dewalt's and for a job site table saw, second to know in my book!!!

I've had great luck thus far with the new Ryobi 18V stuff....really:) 3 years and batterys still going strong, HD had a deal where I could buy 2 18V batt's for $40 so I bought 4 spare to add to the 6 I already have. These things have tumbled off roofs onto concrete in 30* weather and have not cracked/broke yet!!! I can say the same thing about my Paslode cordless nailers too....I'm gonna have to get life lines for these tools:)

I did'nt like the Milwaukee 18V stuff, wlaked away from every task with severe arm pump since the tools weighed 100lbs each LOL!!!

So after all this, just take the Ridgid stuff back for warranty:)

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a friend works for Dewalt in product development here in Balitmore. I'll ask him about battery life. He's supposed to be getting me a Dewalt mitersaw stand for my new 12' slide miter. Have the 18v impact driver one bad piece with no pretzeled wrists.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I was getting my oil changed this afternoon and just happened to see they had a WOOD mag on the table. They did a test on the 14.4V and the panasonic was on top and Ridgid came in last. the Panasonic drove like 463? screws while the Ridgid only musturded up 273?

Granted not a 18V, but still kind of interesting to page through.

Glass: Update your commador charger to colleco vision and it will cut charge times in half :Thumbs:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I PURCHASED A DEWALT CORDLESS 18VOLT DRILL AND CIRCULAR SAW ABOUT 15 YEARS AGO .They lasted about 12 years then the saw shorted out 2 batteries ,also there was three different chargers that stop working about 6 months to a year after buying them.I ALSO HAD TWO BATTERIES THAT THE CLIPS BROKE OFF THEN I HAD TO TAPE THEM ON.WHEN THE TAPE WEARS OUT LOOK OUT BELOW THESE BATTERIES CAN CAUSE SOME DAMAGE.I BELIEVE THAT THE QUALITY OF SOME OF THE PARTS HAVE GONE DOWN AND I BELIEVE THET IN TIME SALES WILL ALSO GO DOWN.

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Hmm? Mike "Dewalt" Finley - not sure about that one :D Maybe you should take your compressor out to dinner to make it feel better...

Raelynn - cool it with the CAPS please.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I see that you looked for the cause of failure. Good man!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts