Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lived and worked in Arizona my entire life, and have heard the term "right to work state" many times, but I do not understand exactly what it means. I am considering bidding a job in New mexico that is not a "right to work state" and I am trying to figure out what effect that will have. Any sugestions, or links where it is explained would be much appreciated.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
It's more about employees then businesses. It basically means an employer has the right to fire an employee for any reason, or no reason at all outside of discrimination.

If you want to fire an employee you can just say, you're fired and that's it.

It also means the employee has the same rights to quit, no questions asked, no reasons given or any reason they want.

·
Superior Firepower
5,089 Posts
I have lived and worked in Arizona my entire life, and have heard the term "right to work state" many times, but I do not understand exactly what it means. I am considering bidding a job in New mexico that is not a "right to work state" and I am trying to figure out what effect that will have. Any sugestions, or links where it is explained would be much appreciated.
I don't see a problem if you are duly licensed in both states.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
It's more about employees then businesses. It basically means an employer has the right to fire an employee for any reason, or no reason at all outside of discrimination.

If you want to fire an employee you can just say, you're fired and that's it.

It also means the employee has the same rights to quit, no questions asked, no reasons given or any reason they want.
I believe you are wrong. What you are referring to is "at will employment". An employer may terminate an employee at will, except for the confines of legal discrimination, or collective bargaining agreements.

A "Right to work State" allows an employee to work for an employer, and not belong to a union. It is generally thought to be an anti-union device.

·
Twisted Cameron
314 Posts
I grew up in South Dakota, which is a right to work state. I have never met anybody in a union there. Also you can fire anybody for just about any reason.

·
Da Boss....
474 Posts
So are there states that don't offer the "right to work?"

The union is pretty strong where I live but I'm not a member, I'm a rat.

I love the rat!!!

Illinois is also a right to work state, but, the unions are pretty strong. I know a few guys that have had the rat in front of there jobsite.

Funny story.... Last fall this lady calls me for a small, one day exterior. I get to the job and set up. The husband is leaving for work, says hi and asks me for my card. I say I have to go to my truck and get it. I'm thinking buisness card. He says... "Don't worry, I'm the BA for the painters union and just need to make sure." :eek::whistling:whistling:whistling

I said have a nice day and went back to painting his house. :thumbup:

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I believe you are wrong. What you are referring to is "at will employment". An employer may terminate an employee at will, except for the confines of legal discrimination, or collective bargaining agreements.

A "Right to work State" allows an employee to work for an employer, and not belong to a union. It is generally thought to be an anti-union device.
oops

You're absolutely right.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I love the rat!!!

Illinois is also a right to work state, but, the unions are pretty strong. I know a few guys that have had the rat in front of there jobsite.

Funny story.... Last fall this lady calls me for a small, one day exterior. I get to the job and set up. The husband is leaving for work, says hi and asks me for my card. I say I have to go to my truck and get it. I'm thinking buisness card. He says... "Don't worry, I'm the BA for the painters union and just need to make sure." :eek::whistling:whistling:whistling

I don't believe Illinois is a right to work state. We're closed shop which means contractors can't have union and none union trades on the same job.
Unions are pretty strong but as a general rule they don't bother residental contractors.

·
JFRAME
79 Posts
I love the rat!!!

I'm sorry,but that's the biggest pile of bull**** I've ever heard

1 - 20 of 24 Posts