Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend building a home and called me for some input.. He had someone come out and run power from a 400 amp service in an orchard to the location where he is building his house. (600') He called tonight and was asking if the guy ran the right gauge? I guess he ran 1 gauge in a 2" conduit. Supposably the guy works for PG&E and is doing this on the side,the question came up because someone else came out and told him different. (not sure if its copper or alum.)

appreciate any feed back

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
Gee Last time I checked 400 amps in conduit would require 500mcm cable in copper. I think you are a little light in the gauge this is not a free air application. However if it is on the utility side of the meter the utility can do whatever they want. What size service is going into the house?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply
The main service were he is starting from is a 400A He is running 200A to the property were he will split 100a to each building

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have a friend building a home and called me for some input.. He had someone come out and run power from a 400 amp service in an orchard to the location where he is building his house. (600') He called tonight and was asking if the guy ran the right gauge? I guess he ran 1 gauge in a 2" conduit. Supposably the guy works for PG&E and is doing this on the side,the question came up because someone else came out and told him different. (not sure if its copper or alum.)

appreciate any feed back
After reading your other post that it is for 200a - a 1/0 awg would not be adequate for this application. It should be a 3/0 awg copper conductors for that distance , or even bigger if it is Al......................

·
Baltimore Electrician
1,249 Posts

appreciate any feed back
That is the problem right there. POCO guys know nothing about the NEC or theory - everything they do on the job is engineered for them, and POCOs routinely install conductors smaller than the NEC would require.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just did some calculations and for 600 feet
100 Amp feed needs 250mcm (for voltage drop)
200 Amp feed needs 500mcm ( for voltage drop)

Tht is for 240 volts and using copper wire single phase

·
Registered
428 Posts
long run

Hey Roba,

Have a sparky open up the meter base at house and measure the voltage there and check out the wire size and report back. My guess is you have 1 set of 4/0 since he is from puco

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the replies guys...come to find out this guy isn't even licensed and didn't even pull permits for this job :censored: how the hell did he think he was going to get a meter ? I told my buddy to cut your losses right now and get someone qualified !

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,981 Posts
thanks for the replies guys...come to find out this guy isn't even licensed and didn't even pull permits for this job :censored: how the hell did he think he was going to get a meter ? I told my buddy to cut your losses right now and get someone qualified !
Just like so many POCO linesman. Think they're above licensing and permits.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just did some calculations and for 600 feet
100 Amp feed needs 250mcm (for voltage drop)
200 Amp feed needs 500mcm ( for voltage drop)

Tht is for 240 volts and using copper wire single phase
Thanks jcorrin, would the 500mcm work for a future upgrade as well? I've got my electrician doing some calcs tonight as well, but can never hurt to get feedback.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts