Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post, been lurking the forums for a while and really enjoy the site.

I have a question and just want to see if I am being a total sap, or making the right choice... Here it goes.

I've been doing residential carpentry for 13 years. Came across a great opportunity with a new company and signed on 2 weeks ago. Including me, there's 5 of us on the job. All standard residential work everything's going fine. Realize about 2 days ago, the other 4 guys were coming back from lunch and are clearly taking "a smoke break" and I'm not talking about grandpa'a Lucky Strikes...had suspicions and they were finally confirmed in front of me.

Wife says go straight to the owner and express my concern, I say "thanks for the opportunity, things didn't work out"
I don't care what you do on your own time, but this is how I feed my family and it's not what I signed up for. Speak up and I'm the ******* when he doesn't fire his whole crew and I'm stuck working with these dudes. I have money in savings, not worried if it takes a month or so to find a new gig, but life's too short for me not to feel comfortable going to work each day. I assume it's an issue that's not going to change and I would just have to deal with it, and I absolutely refuse that.

Don't want to stir the pot, and it's not in my nature to throw them under the bus but I figure I move on now. I understand times are changing but it's not my style work environment. I plan to respectfully put my two weeks in tomorrow, with request of being done ASAP.

Any input?

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
Welcome to CT.

I'll bet that Cheech and Chong and Cheech and Chong have been let go from other places for the same reason. It's worse to be guilty by association in some cases.

Tough call, but I would ask for a sit down with the boss and explain your concern.

Perhaps the boss can institute a "new" drug testing program.

It depends on the company dynamics and its good to hear that you have an out.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
If the boss ain't around enough to tell that his crew is smoking other than cigs, I can just imagine what else is or isn't happening on that job that is supposed to.

Sounds a great deal like a paperboy who don't give a rats arse about anything except collecting checks.

A face to face with the boss probably won't accomplish much but end up causing you grief.

Move on before your reputation goes up in smoke....:whistling

·
Registered
94 Posts
My story : I just started for a framing company one day forman left and boss is chasing jobs and bids .During lunch i ask "anyone want something im going to the store?" One reply "bring me a 40" and gives me money im like o_O naww i rather not buy that ... Im down for a drink after not at lunch....... Later that day i said a joke about happy hour, i stay after work the longest (i pick up my tools last even tho i live the farthest about an hour) boss goes "wana get a beer im buying" we go forman and I ... During the conversation i asked "ever drink on the job or let ur guys have one?" Boss "No maybe 30years ago not now ... Never did the other guys bring up beer again and i knew from his answer boss dint know if they did or the forman. If they ever brought beer i would go to the forman I would say dont drink or send them home (they wont listen but i wont stand for it)

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
I would talk to the boss as though he already knows. He very well might if they are that open. Just say "We need to find a way to have a job sight with out workers under the influence right away, or I need to move on". Give the boss a chance to make it right and if the work atmosphere is unreasonable because they still smoke or because they know you talked to the boss, then move on.

·
Super Moderator
30,019 Posts
I was in a similar situation when I was 18, not the same, but similar. I didnt handle in a way I would recommend, and I was running that crew a week before my nineteeenth birthday. I definitely never ratted anyone out.

Im no paperboy, but im not on every job all day, although im on every job everyday, or one of my partners is, whoever is running the job. I know whats going on. But if one of my men told me others were smoking weed on the job, it would never get back to the crew. Cant speak for your boss.

·
Registered
541 Posts
If 80% of his workforce are smoking pot, the owner already knows about it and doesn't care. It's not your place to try to impose your morality on others. Either get used to it or find a new place to work.

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
Perhaps I must withdraw my comments above. It's based on two questions.

1. As the new guy was the pothead crew in place some time prior to your arrival?
  2. How long have they been employed with this company?

Somehow i got the impression that you were ALL hired at the same time.

If the boss doesn't care, then it's time to move on. No 2 weeks notice required IMO. Just cite OSHA regulations for drug use allowed at the workplace and GO.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I quite the best job I ever had because of Booze and drugs, some of them way worse than pot, but me and my Forman were the only ones not smoking it up. After that I took a way less paying job, and ran into the same thing. 3 weeks and I was gone. ( and way less I mean like a 1/4 of what I was making before)

Then I got on with an amazing "craftsman".
He didn't like to be called a contractor. :laughing;
He turned me from a roofer into some what of a good carpenter. I still pick his brain, and swing by his shop for advice (work and personal) several times a year. After he hung it up I went out on my own. No point to mess around with druggies

·
The Dude
Untangler of blue spaghetti
3,343 Posts
Nothing fires me up quite as much as some stoned hippie getting in my way all day. Those guys aren't there to make money, and will slow you down making yours.

After work, they can shoot heroin in their eyeballs for all I care.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
I'd ask the owner what his policy is on drugs. That will tell you and also, he might even ask, "why do you ask?".

I don't like to work with stoners because, well the safety issues and what I've said in the other section.

??? I've got the moderator tools, and your not even close. Why would you ask that?
Carry on.
joke.....light up and lighten up. ;)

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
... I plan to respectfully put my two weeks in tomorrow, with request of being done ASAP.

Any input?
Good plan. I'd tell the guy exactly why - no beating about the bush asking him about his drug policy. I'd say, "Your guys are stoned and I won't work with them." Don't believe any stories about him cleaning up - as others have pointed out, he either knows about it or isn't paying any attention. It sucks; good luck moving on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
rselectric1 said:
??? I've got the moderator tools, and your not even close. Why would you ask that? Carry on.
I ask because if it was in Colorado, with the new marijuana policy, it's technically legal. Not that it makes working around it fine,just as if they were drinking all day it would not be fine either.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
If 80% of his workforce are smoking pot, the owner already knows about it and doesn't care. It's not your place to try to impose your morality on others. Either get used to it or find a new place to work.
:rolleyes:

I ask because if it was in Colorado, with the new marijuana policy, it's technically legal. Not that it makes working around it fine,just as if they were drinking all day it would not be fine either.
Bingo.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Good plan. I'd tell the guy exactly why - no beating about the bush asking him about his drug policy. I'd say, "Your guys are stoned and I won't work with them." Don't believe any stories about him cleaning up - as others have pointed out, he either knows about it or isn't paying any attention. It sucks; good luck moving on.
YEP ^^^^^^^^^^^^^!!!!

I happen to subscribe to "Live and let live philosophy" but/and if you are either uncomfortable or worried about safety, leave responsibly. And be honest, if the boss asks you, tell him.

Good luck.... I personnally think you made a smart decision.

Best

·
Super Moderator
44,677 Posts
I'm happy to say I had the honors to be part of a team hired to go into a company and fire about 60 employees for drugs and stealing. The company was a mess. I walked into the GC superintendents trailer and wala one of our guys was doing lines on his plan desk. He acted as if I wasn't cool if I said something. I was the lead and told him what you just did was the same as doing it right in front of the boss. Needless to say he was fired on the spot.

It was the next week we started handing out walking papers. I swear the whole company was like a prison, the workers acted like they were walking the yard. There was a total of about 75 guys and we brought in our own team and hired some others. Drugs and drinking on the job, becomes like a virus that runs through the whole company. It has to be treated as such too.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.