Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I blew the gearbox out of my new (3 month old) ridgid sawzall today. I was cutting lose a few studs to install a new header and a pocket door and the thing blew up with enough force to blow a hole in the side of the saw and scatter little pieces of metal around the room. I guess its back to my 15 year old millwaulkee that thing just wont quit. Any one else ever have one blow up on them?

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Ridgid don't make a Sawzall, only Milwaukee does.

Ridgid makes a reciprocating saw, but word on the street is they don't last and tend to blow up.

I've had a DeWalt - sucked.

Bought the Milwaukee Sawzall so long ago I forget when I bought it. That thing is a beast!

Some tools need to be brand specific. I think that is one of them.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,778 Posts
This is the very reason I've quit buying rigid power tools. They're not built for the abuse professionals put them through. I've owned quite a few cordless & corded rigid stuff & they've all failed me. twin tank compressor lasted the longest, but it also failed. It's replacement, failed withing 15 months.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
rigid is crap. They won't honor their warranty if you use it professionally. Around here there isn't anywhere to get them serviced even if they honored the warranty.

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,778 Posts
rigid is crap. They won't honor their warranty if you use it professionally. Around here there isn't anywhere to get them serviced even if they honored the warranty.

Luckily, I did find a service shop to work on em 70 miles away. armature went out on my 18 month old tablesaw & they got the motor replaced under warranty. They've currently got my 1 year old tri stack compressor in shop, hopefully they'll get it covered as well.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Luckily, I did find a service shop to work on em 70 miles away. armature went out on my 18 month old tablesaw & they got the motor replaced under warranty. They've currently got my 1 year old tri stack compressor in shop, hopefully they'll get it covered as well.
Id have to drive into ohio to get mine fixed. For what I paid for the crap, its just not worth the drive. I could see driving 70 miles to get the table saw fixed though. Should have bought the bosch! Same price, better everything.

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,778 Posts
I work in that town several times a year. Occassionally shop there as well.

I do like the rigid tablesaw, was just disapointed the motor went bad so quickly. If it lays down again, I'll look at the bosch a little closer, but unless I've missed it, they're not the same price as the rigid. I think I paid $350ish for mine, haven't seen anything bosch that cheap.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,031 Posts
If it isn't Milwaukee or Makita, I've seen someone smoke / bust / mangle the rest of the recip saws.

I have a Rigid oilless twin tank compressor that's lasted, but I think I picked it up at ~ 50% off. I don't remember the price, something like $140, so I figured if it was junk I'd just dump it.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Bought a Bosch at Lowes yesterday for $99.00. We needed an extra one and used it hard it's first day. I like it so far and for the price, I'm happy.
Seems like all the manufactures have 2 models now, a lighter duty compact saw, and a heavy duty demo saw. The light duty saws seem to range from $79 - $129 and the HD saws are $150 - $200. That bosch looks solid for $99, definitely better than the entry level dewalt. I don't do a lot of roof rips and heavy framing, so the lighter weight saw suits me fine. I really like the one handed ridged though, I can get surgical with that thing.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
BTW, the correct spelling is RIDGID, not rigid, nor ridged.
But either way, they are garbage power tools.

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
Bought a Bosch at Lowes yesterday for $99.00. We needed an extra one and used it hard it's first day. I like it so far and for the price, I'm happy.

I bought one of those back in the winter to replace an ANCIENT Makita. So far no problems but I know in the back of my mind that I should have bought a Milwaukee. :laughing:

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I work in that town several times a year. Occassionally shop there as well.

I do like the rigid tablesaw, was just disapointed the motor went bad so quickly. If it lays down again, I'll look at the bosch a little closer, but unless I've missed it, they're not the same price as the rigid. I think I paid $350ish for mine, haven't seen anything bosch that cheap.
Did you get the table saw with the stand? Last I saw it was 500 at local home creepo, which I'm pretty sure what I paid for my bosch.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts