Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I have tried all most every miter saw out there ,as most of you have as well.....they all have things about them we like (each one of them) and some things we don't like......

I have issues with my Bosch and my Ridged...but I (in General liked certain things about them). I really liked the Makita SCMS but didn't end up buying it .....why..:blink: I can't say.....I really don't know why I didn't.
I think I was hung up on the huge field table with the Ridged and it moved very smooth, the slider , the bevel and the miter movement....

The Bosch was the feel of the action and space saving...making a sharp bevel/miter combo on the right side is not the ideal setup- having to remove the fence just to do this is a very poor design IMO. I can live with it but I don't like it. I love the feel of the Bosch axial and the upfront controls and the space it saves in my shop. It cuts accurate , detents are accurate, but other than that - it's a pain in the ass at times.....and why is there no laser...:blink:

What always makes me wonder is why none of the manufacturers have come up with a design where the motor runs parallel with the blade- mounted on top. It wouldn't get in the way when doing sharp angle bevel/miter combos and would just seem like a clean setup- evenly balanced. It is definitely doable , it might bump the price up considerably but I would bite the bullet just to get away from the "barely clears the fence" or "I have to remove something to get this angle" my dream engineered SCMS.....:rolleyes:

I'll be honest , what I find a much more enjoyable read is when we talk about them with an open mind without chastising someone for what they use. I could care less personally, the big end is what your producing- THAT is what is important IMO.
I really can't stand the arguments I see on here about whats the best miter saw,the derogatory comments to those that don't buy a certain brand ....it is not very constructive . What I like is when someone is honest and will point out areas of the saw/equipment they own that they like and some that they don't like ,instead of the conversation being civil it ends up being a defensive process on why and what they purchased......

To me,
It's much more enjoyable having an honest conversation, a civil conversation ....I think that benefits everyone involved with the conversation in so many ways....

JMPOV,

B,

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Hey Pin,
I agree, some of their line of tools I will not buy- I had a bad experience with their cordless line.....I think every manufacturer has some lemons in their field. I am not defending Ridged, I am just saying I think all of them have some issues in one way or the other....

Sorry to hear that your saw let you down.....might want to go to a different brand....what brand.....:blink: anything produced now of days is meant to be recycled in a short time span......the days of a "lifer" are gone IMO....:rolleyes:

B,

·
Artist and not a curator
13,479 Posts
I've always wondered about their (rigid) jobsite tablesaw. I love the cart and the fact the blade will raise to 3-1/2". However I wondered how many times could you rip a 4x4 and not burn up the motor or keep it reasonably straight? Personally jobsite tablesaws are really frustrating in general.

Not a genuine fan of rigid mostly because of the cordless, I lost mine right in the middle of a job 1-1/2 hrs away from any store to pick up another and soured on them. More my fault than there's for not having a backup with me. Don't have anything of theirs other than the miter saw because rigid stuff seems to emphasize heavy on ALL the stuff, which is okay for a shop. I would highly recommend their scms for framing, we set it up with monster wings and a tarp and left it chained, worked great for the green kids so I didn't have to constantly double check for square when it was just me and the new kid.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,717 Posts
Hey Pin,
I agree, some of their line of tools I will not buy- I had a bad experience with their cordless line.....I think every manufacturer has some lemons in their field. I am not defending Ridged, I am just saying I think all of them have some issues in one way or the other....

Sorry to hear that your saw let you down.....might want to go to a different brand....what brand.....:blink: anything produced now of days is meant to be recycled in a short time span......the days of a "lifer" are gone IMO....:rolleyes:

B,
Sad part, I really like the rigid tablesaw. I was on a job 1 1/2 hours from home & was only halfway through the day when it laid down. Can't afford to have my tools do that to me.:censored:

It's only 2 years old:censored: & if we can find the receipt, it's under warranty. So far we've had no luck finding the receipt.:censored: Fortunately, there's an authorized rigid dealer in the town we were working in & he's got a replacement motor in stock. So even if I don't find the receipt, its still gonna be cheaper than a new saw.

Their cordless tools, I'll never, ever buy another. They're junk.

The SCMS was alright, but I like my dewalt & bosch a lot better. I know there's a lot of dewalt haters on this site, but truth be known, inye 15 years, none of my dewalt stuff have let me down & I own a lot of yellow tools.

·
Artist and not a curator
13,479 Posts
Sad part, I really like the rigid tablesaw. I was on a job 1 1/2 hours from home & was only halfway through the day when it laid down. Can't afford to have my tools do that to me.:censored:

It's only 2 years old:censored: & if we can find the receipt, it's under warranty. So far we've had no luck finding the receipt.:censored: Fortunately, there's an authorized rigid dealer in the town we were working in & he's got a replacement motor in stock. So even if I don't find the receipt, its still gonna be cheaper than a new saw.

Their cordless tools, I'll never, ever buy another. They're junk.

The SCMS was alright, but I like my dewalt & bosch a lot better. I know there's a lot of dewalt haters on this site, but truth be known, inye 15 years, none of my dewalt stuff have let me down & I own a lot of yellow tools.
Dewalt is a funny animal to me. Its almost as if its the standard barer for good not great. I don't think I've had a single yellow thing that I've said "this is it, this is the best" but on the contrary never said "piece of junk, never again" Dewalt is a safe buy.

Rigid, some people swear its great but those damn 18v drills were stupid heavy when I had one about 7-8 years ago, so is their circular saws...

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I own 2 DW 705s, a 780 and just picked up the 715. No complaints about any of them.

I had the privelege of using the Kapex for several months and personally didn't ever get comfortable with it.

Instead, I chose to buy the 780 with a rolling stand, the 715 and the 745 table saw....and had $300 left over for some decent blades.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts