Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at HD to pick a few things up last week and ,Paul, the rep for the power tools told me that next month they are going to be pairing up this saw https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/12-inch-sliding-compound-miter-saw with the SLUV stand http://t.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Mobile-Miter-Saw-Stand-AC9945/202673168 for $499.00 - talk to your local rep for details.......

Apparently the 10" is a big flop,they went with another manufacturer to make that saw and are going back to the 12" from the original manufacturer ......

Write now the 12" SCMS is $399.00 (normally $569.00) and the SLUV stand is going for $199.00....

If your patient you can get yourself a great deal. I have had the 12" on the SLUV stand for over 9 years and was very happy with it's performance.

B,

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
i remember someone saying the 10" was poorly made, they had a ton of them come back under warrenty

·
Artist and not a curator
13,543 Posts
I got the 12" and sluv about 4 years ago. Not a bad saw. I had the dewalt scms before that. The problem with the rigid is it isn't smooth at all in the beginning of the down motion but it will cut some bigass lumber. The miter table is a monster and if you have back problems find something smaller. The blade deflected quite a bit too on anything thick and hard (dimensional ipe).

The stand is something that they seem to have improved, I bent the bottom of mine in about two weeks when I had a crew... None of us were very easy on tools.

All that being said, I decided to keep the saw even after I got my kapex. I use it for big stuff now and not so much for fine cutting, the dust collection is :censored:. As far as the common saws I think it seems on par with the dewalt I had, no doubt that's more than a fair price for both of those items though:thumbup:

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've had the 10" slider for nearly 3 years now and it has been a wonderful $300 waste of space.

·
Tall Moose
109 Posts
I had that saw - the 12". I had very high hopes for it when i bought it. It had a big table, miter range was big, fair bit of power.

Turns out it was no better than the craftsman saw I was given. Tons of deflection, not as powerful as I had hoped, and I could just never get that saw accurate/precise enough for trim. It was like the rails on mine were bananas. I will saw though, it worked decent for framing. It was heavy enough to take a lot of abuse...and dish it out to your spine if you needed to move it...

That saw is one of the main reasons I've been turned off of Ridgid tools...Except their little laminate trimmer...that router is awesome...and bulletproof.

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been doing trim with it for over 9 years.....

Never let me down....

But....:whistling

We all have our own oppinion ......:thumbsup:

B,

·
Tall Moose
109 Posts
I've been doing trim with it for over 9 years.....

Never let me down....

But....:whistling

We all have our own oppinion ......:thumbsup:

B,
Honestly, it was probably just a bad apple. But I did seriously find it heavy...insanely heavy...thats both good and bad to me. Heavy is usually stable, but heavy sucks to move. I'm now itching to switch my current saw out for the green koolaid, but I just haven't pulled the trigger.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Why would you need a 12" slider over a 10"? We have a 10" slider and we use it solely for skirt and ledges. Its too sloppy for miterwork.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
hmm starting a huge trim job on friday and saw this package at home depot today and considering it since our makita is 20 years old and doesnt cut too square anymore

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
asgoodasdead said:
hmm starting a huge trim job on friday and saw this package at home depot today and considering it since our makita is 20 years old and doesnt cut too square anymore
If your Makita has made it 20 years, why bother switching brands?

I just bought a used Makita, cuts like a dream.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I'm not dumb enough to think a makita made now and made 20 years ago are made from the same parts and materials or with the same craftsmanship/attention to detail. everything nowadays is made like crap

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
I'm not dumb enough to think a makita made now and made 20 years ago are made from the same parts and materials or with the same craftsmanship/attention to detail. everything nowadays is made like crap
Maybe so, but the Makita is still a top of the line runner among miter saws today.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
SLUV ........

Problem rectified.....that goes for any saw as far as I am concerned ...

B,
Until you have to carry that stand up three stories...the simple beam with folding legs style is far more portable when you can just roll around...but when you can roll around stands like the slub are nice

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
asgoodasdead said:
If everything is made worse than before, why go for the lower line? Get something that while it may not last 20 year you can at least count on it to perform well.

Just my .02. YMMV.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
who says it's lower line, though? people on here are saying they've used the ridgid for 9 years with no issues. its all preference. and it's the same price with a free $200 stand that would be really handy on this job. we only do a few trim jobs a year. if we were full time trim guys it would be another story and i'd drop money on a festool

1 - 20 of 50 Posts