Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any of you guys use GAF " snow country" plastic caps instead of the rolled the cobra vent?
I see most guys just installing roof caps right over the standard/ common ridge vent and not using plastic cap ridge vent. Is there really a true advantage of using one over the other aside from cost?

·
Registered
785 Posts
power said:
Any of you guys use GAF " snow country" plastic caps instead of the rolled the cobra vent? I see most guys just installing roof caps right over the standard/ common ridge vent and not using plastic cap ridge vent. Is there really a true advantage of using one over the other aside from cost?
Maybe it's just me but I'm not sure I understand what your question is.

·
Registered
15,852 Posts
The advantage of GAF "Snow Country" is that the vent has baffles. This helps prevent blow off by deflecting and that draws air from the vent. COBRA or similar just breath with no suction ability.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Snow Country on all our roofs. Read the box- I doubt many guys install it properly.

GAF has a new hip vent this year no caulking required.

And we don't shoot the caps either. GAF Seal-a-ridge is single layer and maybe the nails are long enough but I don't trust them.

These fat fingers like 2-1/2" cap nails hand driven. Caps by choice are TimberTex multi layered 1-3/4" nails are not long enough.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Anyone ever owens corning " Ventsure" ? Its a rolled product that comes in 20 ft length with a plastic top.
That stuff is junk! It is like a corrugated plastic glued together. It will blow up easy and doesn't lay flat.

Cobra 20 or 50 foot rolls are a nice product and I used it for years...but after our last big hail storm I switched. The hail went thru the cap since the ridge vent was soft......therefore, I had a bunch of tarping to do just to keep roofs from leaking until we could replace them.

Air Vent Peak Performer II is what I now use. It is quite similar but will add some rigidity under the shingles. Plus even if you get large hail, if the shingles fail...you still have plastic that is solid and will prevent leaks.

I dont like the 4' sections of ridge vent because I have seen them blow off, like completely gone. Plus on a long section it is just a little more of a pain putting all the sections down.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used the owens corning VentSure ridge vent without any issues even during hurricane Sandy. I think its a pretty good product, also lays flat. I just wish it would come in lengths longer than 20 ft, rather than spending money on extra rolls.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Regarding the 20 ft OC ridge vent, do you need to caulk seam if you have a 40 ft run and 2 pieces are butted together?
What do you do as far as end caps so no water gets in at the edge?

·
Registered
37 Posts
We like snow country and shingle vent II. Why use a rolled ridge vent that has 12" Net Free Area per linear foot when you can get 18 and 20 from the 4' baffle types. The only way it would blow off, as mentioned, is from the installer cutting corners and gunning it on with short nails. We hand nail it all on with 2 1/2" nails like Roofcheck above. You can find a lot of info online about venting, if you increase roof venting be sure to check the intake, you may need to increase that as we'll for a balanced system. The word balanced is important.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.