Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I doing a Reno on a fixer upper home. When looking at the homes roof which is clay tile the middle of the home looks like it’s sagging in a bit like the ridge is like a slight U in the middle. Not sure what is wrong structure wise we are replacing a lot of termite damaged interior walls and wood from ceiling beams. But roof rafters seem to be not touched.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
First thing I would do is check the exterior walls to see if their bowed out, is there a basement or is it concrete? You might be able to slowly jack up the ridge and install new color ties, or install a new ridge beam underneath out of engineered lumber.

·
General Contractor
7,940 Posts
Could be many reasons, is this a balloon framed house? Did the walls bow out? Could also be that the ridge wasn't braced in the middle and had a slight "sag" during the time when the roof was originally framed... The framer was probably as good at framing as you making videos 😏 😅

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank for the answers I will make better videos it’s a Crawlspace under the home. I will inspect the walls

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,047 Posts
Ridge beam, or ridge board?

They are very different things you know.

I see ceiling joists on one end, which leads me to believe it’s not a beam , at least on that end of the structure.

The other ends seems to be missing ceiling joists, which might indicate a beam, or just poor construction.

Then I could be way off on what I’m seeing, because your video was a little......difficult. 😄

Knowing which it is is key to figuring out what went wrong, and how to fix it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Could be,, your cutting out ceiling joist, that are also collar ties? Could that bow the walls and drop the ridge? The challenge of remodeling is you have to be half azz engineer,,, or know one:)... Or go at it with no permit, no plan, and no license.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
What is it with this thing where videos are not full screen?
You see it on TV news casts and anywhere else a video is posted. The middle third is in focus and the outer two thirds is nothing but blur or like yours, blacked out.
The picture are is so narrow you can't tell what you are looking at.

·
Registered
New Home Construcion Project Management
2 Posts
Sounds like you got it figured out. Did you find evidence of termite damage in the joists? Can you post some pics?

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,047 Posts
So if the entire structure has (had) ceiling joists, then more than likely you don’t have a ”ridge beam” you have a ridge “board”.

If your ridge is non structural, then it depends on ceiling joists to keep the roof from spreading.

Look at the rafters, the walls, see if they are bowing out, look at the foundation, even look at the shear on the gables, and if you have enough experience with structural issues, you’ll figure it out.

But if you don’t, you need to know your own limitations, and pass on work that is above your skill level.

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
What is it with this thing where videos are not full screen?
You see it on TV news casts and anywhere else a video is posted. The middle third is in focus and the outer two thirds is nothing but blur or like yours, blacked out.
The picture are is so narrow you can't tell what you are looking at.
It's when some idiot takes video in portrait mode. It allows the image to fit the screen. The blur is just editing mirroring the visible part.

Though I belive it also is occasionally used to block stuff, but mostly the former.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: TimNJ

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Everyone wants to kill me for the video so here’s another hope it’s better. It shows the middle where it sagging

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,047 Posts
OK.

So have you taken a plate to plate measurement on each side, and then one in the middle where the sag is?

What are those numbers?

It appears that the ceiling joists break over a bearing wall. Are all the others continuou?

It appeared that there were some that were just scabbed in the middle, but they were on the edge of the screen, so I couldn’t see well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts