Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Design Build
8,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just recorded a PBS special that was a documentary that this guy filmed, as he built his own log cabin up in Twin Lakes, Alaska.

This guy was a real master at almost everything. If you get the chance to see the show, or buy the DVD ($70) it is an awesome series.

Dick Proenneke

Check out this PDF of his journal

Video

He was born Richard Louis Proenneke in Iowa in 1916, and died in California in 2003. He is most famous for living alone in the Alaskan wilderness for over 30 years. He wrote quite a lot in his journals, which he donated to the American National Park System. His cabin and the rest of his homestead are now preserved as a National Historic Site.

He joined the armed forces right after Pearl Harbor, but didn't serve very long due to a series of injuries and illnesses. However, he was a mechanical genius, so he had little problem making a living both in Iowa and in Alaska.

He was a key player in calling for wilderness preservation during the late 70s and early 80s. The subject of the rather popular PBS program "One Man's Wilderness", which features his own footage from 1974 and more recent footage (ca. 1998), he's become a somewhat famous figure.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,222 Posts
Been meaning to get a copy of that ever since I saw part of it on PBS a few years ago. You finally gave me a roundtuit. Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I watched this many times and read the book that goes along with it a few times too. I think about his simple logic and common sense often. The final chapter of the book is titled, "Reflections" and after reading it, it changed the way that I view the world.

He was an amazing guy.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Are we talking about the guy that just "fashions a spoon" from a piece of wood for his flap jacks?

·
Design Build
8,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are we talking about the guy that just "fashions a spoon" from a piece of wood for his flap jacks?
Yes.

His wood working and survival skills are amazing. I especially like his hinges and door lock all made from wood.

·
Registered
69 Posts
An inspiring guy to say the least. I was never sure if he filmed the documentary himself or if someone else was with him. I agree with Wallmax, his door setup was amazing, along with his fireplace.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Wow. This post sent me on an hour long google search.....that guy was freakin amazing. I have daydreamed about doing something like that for years, unfortunately a wife, kids, business, and life in general seem to keep getting in the way.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Watched the short video. Amazing fortitude that guy must have had.

One thing comes to mind though. How did he keep that camera powered?
He was worried about packing in handles for the tools. Is that because he was loaded up with batteries?
You're showing you're (lack of) age!

The camera was spring driven crank up probably a Bolex 16mm

Packing the film would be a job.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,222 Posts
Happened to run a cross a clip from this on Youtube today and had to watch it even though I have the DVD around here somewhere. You should see the part where he fashions door hinges from tree knots. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Thanks for reminding me of this Tin!
Me & the boys have watched it more than a few times.

A few days ago I ran across an old quiet movie titled
"Nanuk of the North". It was a silent movie filmed in 1922 about an Eskimoe family hunting, & just surviving in winter conditions. Don't let the silent part stop you from watching it. Once it gets going, you'll watch the whole thing. The guy that was featured in the movie ended up starving to death on a hunt a few years afterwards. It was an amazing documentary, even by todays standards.

Joe

1 - 20 of 23 Posts