Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a question for you HVAC guys. I have a 4-5 year old Rheem Classic 90 plus(modulating) furnace. When it runs its a great furnace with nice comfortable even heat. However, every year come heating system minus last year I've had to have the furnace install company come repair it!

year 1- 2-3 visits to find a bad pressure sensor a replace
year 2 - Another new pressure sensor
year 3- Up sized the exhaust pipe to 3" and extended intake into my attice space.
Year 5(now)- Its not firing up every time. I'm waiting for the company to come out and look but its flashing "12 &13" dirty sensors I believe.

I did get a 10yr parts and labor warranty on it but come on! Is this furnace the Chevy of furnaces? Can i ask for a new model? Do I even want another RHEEMING?:whistling

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
From your description.
The problems are caused by your installing contractor, and not the furnace.

And its still not installed right.

If you have the install manual. read it, and you will see what I mean.

I'm not a Rheem dealer. But, the Rheem mod is a very reliable furnace. When installed properly. But, like any other brand. When its not installed right, it has problems.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
PS: Dirty sensors?

Don't you have its serviced like your suppose to, to maintain your parts and labor warranty.

If you do, they should have pulled and cleaned the flame sensor.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From your description.
The problems are caused by your installing contractor, and not the furnace.

And its still not installed right.

If you have the install manual. read it, and you will see what I mean.

I'm not a Rheem dealer. But, the Rheem mod is a very reliable furnace. When installed properly. But, like any other brand. When its not installed right, it has problems.

Any hints on the poor install method? As for the dirty sensor I'll probably have to claim responibliy for that. I havent had it serviced this season. I kind of wanted to see if their last "fix" helped. As for servicing how often do you recomend? Once a year?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Yes, once a year. Generally in the beginning of the heating season.

The vent system was installed wrong. The intake and exhaust are suppose to be installed so that both pipes have the same pressure against them.

With the intake in the attic. The exhaust can have a much higher pressure against it.

They probably had the wrong pipe size for the furnace to begin with. And that will cause lots of trouble also.
The install instructions give the limitations for the vent system. And they MUST be followed. For proper operation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts