Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Y'all , this is my first post to this site. I have been lurking and reading and getting practical and helpful advice for the past several months. What a great source for information on all aspects of the consruction trade.

I am working on a bid for an exterior paint job on an 1830 plantation house. The 8 inch lap board is cypress. The owners told me that when they bought the house that there was only one coat of whitewash on the walls. They painted it and in places put on 6 coats of paint. The wood is absorbing the paint like a sponge in many places.There is also some peeling of paint back to the original whitewash. One of my paint suppliers (sells Pittsburg paints) tells me I could use Rez Permanizer Plus to seal the wood, cracks , raised grain and general wear. He says this is the paint industries answer to vinyl siding.Scrap, caulk, use permanizer and quality latex paint and am supposed to get upwards of 15 yrs before repaint.

Okay ,what do ya think? Can anyone give me some feedback , advice or dire warnings against using and selling my customer on this product.

·
Banned
187 Posts
Clean, prepare, prime and paint two coats.

Sounds like a good job.

One man or crew?

Don't forget the warranty!

Tom Rohland
Ranger Painting & Pressure Cleaning, Inc.

·
Banned
187 Posts
Caretaker,

I haven't used alot of Pittsburgh products to include the Rez Permanizer Plus. I have no input there.

However, what is important is to use products from the same manufacturer, from start to finish. This will help you to validate any issues that may arise later on down the road.

I generally use Sherwin Williams products because I've had great success with them. By the way, I've been using them since 1992 and I've not had one warranty issue.

Is that possible?

Yes. It is possible.

Good luck with the bid and "Bid it to get it" without comprising the quality of the job.

15 years before a repaint?????????

That sure is a long time. Let us know what you're going to do (in detail) to stand behind "that one."

Tom Rohland
Ranger Painting & Pressure Cleaning, Inc.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Peace all

Hey care, welcome to the forum.

Just like Tom said, I too am a SW fan. You will tend to get the best product to give warranty.

15 year repaint though? Just wondering where you live? Here in Michigan, with the winters, I couldn't give that long of a warranty.

Here's my opinion, though it may differ from others:
Good clean job.
Patch up with wood filler or latex caulk.
Since the wood is soaking product up; SW A-100 Oil primer. :Thumbs:
2-3 coats of a excellent latex, not to break their budget: SW Superpaint or A-100 latex.

Good luck
dont sell yourself short

Peace

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys, thanks for the replys . Homeowner seems to know more about painting and about "everything else" then me soooooo I told him to supply the paint and I'll do the rest.He assured me Ben Moore or S.W. He wasn't interested in the Pittsburg sealant or using their paint.I tried to approach the subject of the Cypress absorbing the paint but he put all the blame on huricane Ivan.Tried to tell him about another 1830 house up the road in Pine Apple Alabama...I'm in south central Alabama ,Josh.....that was painted with the product 5 yrs ago and how darn good it looks but nothing was getting through. Who knows , this guy may be right.

The guy invented a deer scent and got rich cuz of it.Now he buys old country homes and remodels ,adds deer coolers in barns and caters to the rich deer huntin' community.Usually sells for a fat profit.Think I better get a good contract if he wants me to do the work cuz I smell trouble. Even after I gave him my good old honest country boy talk....cuz I am honest and take pride in my work but my intuition tells me to beware.

Ironically , I will be painting a 1910 era house this week which has already been primed with Rez Permanizer Plus...sounds like the super hero of paints don't it. It's a play house which was built by my great grandmothers sister and her husband for the children that they never had.The people who own it now ,scraped and sealed it and lost interest in finishing it, so I'll let Y'all know how it turns out.

Oh Yeah , Tom it'll just be me . No crew and no warrenty....no way!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Way too late reply to the post, but for anybody wondering today

I see that the OP was from 6-years ago...!

Permanizer plus is great. I've used it for out of the way trim (3rd story) that no one will see close up and the budget isn't there for complete stripping.

Scrape or wirebrush all of the loose flaking and then the Permanizer Plus locks it onto the surface. It acts as the primer too - goes on milky white and dries clear ready to paint.

6 years plus and it is still holding well

1 - 7 of 7 Posts