Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I am rewiring my first floor. It is actually an over/under duplex. we plan on turning it into a single family home one day.
this is what I have so far; I was wondering if everything sounds OK.

KITCHEN
small appliance --------two 20 amp (all gf )
fridge ----------------one 20 amp
garbage disposal and hood vent -one 20 amp
stove ----8/3 ----------40 amp
dishwasher------------one-20 amp

DIN ROOM AND BREAKFAST ROOM ( wired together but separate rooms)
rec --one 20 amp

2 BED ROOMS
each room on it own 20 amp arc fault including light. and fire alarm

BATH ROOM
one - 20 amp serving one bathroom and one powder room ( two receptacle total (gf) no lighting)

Laundry Room
Dryer-- 10/3--30amp
washer + one more receptacle in that room - one- 20 amp
water heater 10/2 ---30 amp

Lighting is figured on 1500 sq ( just on that floor) = 4500
I also did an estimated watts on lighting ( we do not have the lighting but we will be putting 10 , 12 , 15 bulb lights. I figured 4300 watts (NOT including the bedrooms.)

Lighting-- three--15 amp

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
What electrical code are you under?

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Hello
I am rewiring my first floor. It is actually an over/under duplex. we plan on turning it into a single family home one day.

KITCHEN

rec --one 20 amp

2 BED ROOMS

BATH ROOM
one - 20 amp serving one bathroom and one powder room ( two receptacle total (gf) no lighting)

Laundry Room
Dryer-- 10/3--30amp

I also did an estimated watts on lighting ( we do not have the lighting but we will be putting 10 , 12 , 15 bulb lights. I figured 4300 watts (NOT including the bedrooms.)

Lighting-- three--15 amp
Just noticed that.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes I live in Portsmouth Virginia
this is my own home.
thought if smoke D were in the bedroom they had to be arc fault.
I could put the SD out side the bedrooom.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
Hello

Red is what I would do differently, Blue is what you said that I would change. We have some local codes that change things. We are required to run #12 wire even on 15A lighting circuits so I would just do the lighting circuits as 20A.

KITCHEN
garbage disposal and dishwasher - one 20A
Range 6/3 w/g 60A

over range m/w/hood -one 20A

rec --one 20 amp, max 4 receptacles per circuit

2 BED ROOMS
Separate circuit for smoke detectors

BATH ROOM

Laundry Room
Dryer-- 10/3--30amp
Washer [email protected]
Convenience Recept [email protected] GFCI
Use gas

Lighting-- three--15 amp
Lighting is a big variable. Ceiling Fans? Exterior Lights? Recessed lights in K?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
...........thought if smoke D were in the bedroom they had to be arc fault.
That may not make a difference. What electrical code are you under?

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Yes I live in Portsmouth Virginia
this is my own home.
thought if smoke D were in the bedroom they had to be arc fault.
Depends on your local AHJ and their amendments to the NEC.

I will be frank, you seem to have a good basic grasp of the NEC and the very basic elements, but your post history indicates that you are doing more than rewiring your first floor. I don't doubt you have a contractors license, but in some states all you need to prove is that you don't have a criminal history and can prove a certain level of net worth.

I really am not trying to bust your chops here. Not in any way. However my gut feeling from reading your previous posts is that you are relying on advice you find here to help you with electrical work that you might not yet be prepared to take on yourself. (Part of my view on this is derived from the fact that you are asking for help on your own home)

Just a suggestion, check out the sister site (DIY). Alot of the same electrical contractors that are posters here (including myself) are more than willing to help you out there with more detailed instructions and advice (but perhaps under different identities).

Please don't take offense at this post. I'm just being honest. If your area of expertise is simply not electric, then feel free to jump in when you can help in other areas. (as long as you are truly a contractor)

It's a rough bunch of guys here sometimes, but they are pretty darned human once you get a few more posts under your belt.

Ron

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
rselectric

but your post history indicates that you are doing more than rewiring your first floor.
I bought a duplex. I started finishing the unfinished kitchen because the prior owner tried to remodel the first floor. This "electrician", simply ran wires through the outside of walls each room. He then hung the drywall and went back and cut in old work boxes. While working on the kitchen I found a wire in bedroom/kitchen wall that he had not put in a box. HUM He also had 10/3 for stove wire and alot of other crazy stuff. Now I am rewiring the first floor. I can't pay an electrican to try to trace this guys footsteps. Belive me I don't like going behind other people fixing their mistakes, beside the fact the craw is only a foot tall.

I don't doubt you have a contractors license, but in some states all you need to prove is that you don't have a criminal history and can prove a certain level of net worth.

Not quite sure how to take this at all ...
1 are you saying I am stupid?
2 are you saying all contractors are stupid?
3 are you asking if I had to take some type of ele test?
NO I did not. Are contractors supposed to know how to wire a house?
are contractors supposed to know hvac, plumbing?
If this were a job, I would hire an electrician.
I AM NOT AN ELECTRICAN. I AM NOT AN ELECTRICAL CONTRACTOR.
I AM NOT A PLUMBING CONTRACTOR.
I am a GENERAL CONTRACTOR.
I quit contracting for a while, then moved, so in turn I have lost a lot of my contacts; otherwise I would not even be here asking these questions.
now should I explain why I quit?????? Why I bought a house in such bad shape???? If you don't want to answer the question, then don't.

Just a suggestion, check out the sister site (DIY).
Please don't take offense at this post. I'm just being honest

I think I will because, and I'm "JUST BEING HONEST" here, most of the people on this forum think they are gods.
I was sure I would get "DID YOU PULL A PERMIT.......", as an answer somewhere.

Again, If you don't want to answer the question, don't.

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
I am an electrical God and I say to wire your smoke detector's to a lighting circuit. Since I am an electrical God, may I also suggest using Kiddie/ Firex brand and follow the manufacturers suggestions on placement. Another electrical God taught me that several years ago, it was a blessing of sorts.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Music,
You misread my intentions. My post was meant to gently steer you to the DIY site for the questions you posed. I don't know how I could have been more tactful.

When I read your reply, it bugged me that I may have come across the wrong way. I was going to let this post just go away, and assumed we would meet again on other threads.

I also wanted to spare you the frustration of dealing with some of the inevitable barbs you would have encountered being a new poster on the site with questions that sound exactly like ones a homeowner would pose if he got through the "front door" undetected. Once you are around here awhile you will see exactly what I mean. GUARANTEED.

I have absolutely no doubt now you are a legitimate contractor, but by your own admissions, you are not an electrician. As you know, true GC's (who are referred to sometimes around here are "paper contractors") are not expected to know the details of every trade. But you are contemplating biting off a task that if done incorrectly, can cause people to get hurt. (Like your family for instance)

In this post, you ignored a simple question posed by 480 Sparky who has more electrical knowlege than I could ever hope to attain, and he asked again, and you didn't respond to his question which could have laid the groundwork for which code you fall under as well as the local amendments.

Your electrical plan seems to summarily pass my approval but I don't know all the details either, so I would defer to a licensed electrician who has had the opportunity to physically look at what else this previous owner may have screwed up.

I hope your reaction to my well intentioned post has not soured you on this website. It's a terrific site to ask questions, help fellow contractors who are experiencing something you have been through and have figured out out to handle, and to just blow off some steam with like minded guys.

I hope there are no hard feelings, and I look forward to seeing you around here.:thumbsup:

·
Electrical Contractor
94 Posts
You could put the smoke alarm outside the bedroom but that would not meet the code requirements. Smoke alarms are required inside all bedrooms and immediately outside the bedrooms. This is not a requirement of the electrical code but the electrical code does require that the smoke alarms that are inside bedrooms must be on arc fault circuits. These are the kind of things you should know cold before you undertake the project that you are proposing. If you truely are a GC do what GC's do and get on the phone and hire the cheapest sub that you can find to do the work. If they don't know what they are doing at least you will have someone to shoulder the liability when something goes wrong.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
rselectric

I am Sorry. I guess you caught me before my AM coffee. I really do appreciate all the help you and everyone has given me. I do think this site is great. I understand that a lot of people just join just to get a few answers.... I assure you I have done a lot of field work. In fact that is the one of the problems ha. I don't have the papers to back most of it up, as well as jack of all trades master of none syndrome.

I did not answer the code question and should have. I am under nec.

I know you consider this post closed, but I hope you get a chance to read this.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for your input. I would hire an Ele. but the property was an investment duplex. (investment ) meaning that there was no loan available; it was a cash deal. At 60,000+ it has left me a little short in the pocket. I do know about the arc fault. The house was wired by the original owner (who was suppose to be an electrician). However he did A LOT of things wrong. I am now fixing them but the drywall is hung and it is a pain to get wire to the sd in the ceiling. I have fished the wire and now doing finial.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree, put it on with the bedroom circuit. One less arc fault is always a plus. I usually out it on with lighting. Some local jurisdictions don't allow them to be on a circuit by themselves(i've heard:jester:).

·
Da Grump
441 Posts
im not sure about your area but around these parts we have to "daisy chain" the smoke alarms so they come on together and it has to be a dedicated circuit for the smokes only ;)

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
im not sure about your area but around these parts we have to "daisy chain" the smoke alarms so they come on together and it has to be a dedicated circuit for the smokes only ;)
That's called 'interconnected' smokes.

And be careful about posting local rules. There are some who believe those who read it will take it as the 11th Commandment, Papal Bull, Presidential Order, Congressional Law and 28th Amendment to the Constitution.

·
Da Grump
441 Posts
and let me add ive got no problem with homeowners doing their own wiring as long as they know their own limitations and do things safely.my problem is with the guys who think just because they own a pickup truck and a ladder they can do everything from kill gophers in your yard to plumb/wire your house.theres a lot of those guys running the streets and i spend a lot of time fixing their screwups,at the same time ive seen lots of licensed plumbers/electicians and hvac guys that would be better suited to doing house demolition or working in a butcher shop! makes me stop and think every time i send those check to renew my licenses and insurance..! :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts