Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
I know someone here uses them because I got a few updates on Facebook when they got new reviews. I just can't recall who it was.

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
Yes, I am familiar with GQ and don't know of any reason not to recommend them. It goes beyond just getting reviews, it provides a mechanism to measure and improve customer satisfaction, and, document your progress. The reviews serve to build confidence in your potential customer because they can't be easily manipulated which builds trust and more solid believability. Anyone can say they strive to achieve total customer satisfaction, the GQ model serves put action behind the words.

The one caution I highly recommend though is always ask permission from your customers to be contacted by GQ. If they understand that your reason is help assure total satisfaction, most people should be happy to help and impressed that you care enough to hire an outside firm to measure their experience with your company. Even if they don't want to participate for some reason, they'll appreciate that you asked. Either way you win.

·
Every now and then poster
13,436 Posts
In my opinion if you need a third party to gauge your companies ability to make your clients happy, you have already failed. I talk extensively with my clients throughout the entire project and in depth at the end. I can't imagine someone on the phone being able to get something out of a client that I couldn't face to face after building a relationship with them...

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
In my opinion if you need a third party to gauge your companies ability to make your clients happy, you have already failed.
It's not always a question of need, Matt, but using the GQ model since it is the context here, it provides a way to document customer satisfaction from an unbiased party. As a customer, I find that useful just like the reviews on Amazon influence my purchasing decisions. Besides, there is a human nature factor that often people are willing to share things with a third party they wouldn't necessarily share with you directly. Especially if it's just a small matter not worth complaining about and risk making you think they're not happy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
In my opinion if you need a third party to gauge your companies ability to make your clients happy, you have already failed. I talk extensively with my clients throughout the entire project and in depth at the end. I can't imagine someone on the phone being able to get something out of a client that I couldn't face to face after building a relationship with them...
This is so true, the building relationships and offering great customer service. I think the endgame here is to get your clients to post great reviews on yelp and google. Some companies outsource this, but in reality all you need to do is to make a review site for your business, send out postcards and emails asking your client to make a review. Some companies have time to do this some don't. Yelp, Google reviews, and yahoo are the top review sites that will pay you back with real positive legit reviews. There are new review sites that pop up all the time, some add value most don't. Also, will you get alot of referal traffic from guildquality.com? That's something your going to monitor in your analytics.

·
Registered
Custom
13,675 Posts
It's not always a question of need, Matt, but using the GQ model since it is the context here, it provides a way to document customer satisfaction from an unbiased party. As a customer, I find that useful just like the reviews on Amazon influence my purchasing decisions. Besides, there is a human nature factor that often people are willing to share things with a third party they wouldn't necessarily share with you directly. Especially if it's just a small matter not worth complaining about and risk making you think they're not happy.
The best documentation of customer satisfaction is referral letters and customer satisfaction surveys filled out in their own hand-writing which you can use to aggregate percentage of clients who were happy and would use you again...

Paying a third party to do this is wasted cost and lost opportunity to farm their warm market...

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
The best documentation of customer satisfaction is referral letters and customer satisfaction surveys filled out in their own hand-writing which you can use to aggregate percentage of clients who were happy and would use you again...

Paying a third party to do this is wasted cost and lost opportunity to farm their warm market...
The caveat here is although that strategy is sound in face to face presentations, it doesn't offer as strong a mechanism to get those face to face presentations. Reviews published on your own web site are suspect due to abuse. I'm speaking as a HO because I need some extra push to gain extra confidence in the companies I would call vs. the ones I would weed out before making the decision on which ones to call.

I also have clients who use GQ and they do very well. Granted, GQ is only part of their strategy but when you assemble all these things together with other success principles, maybe it's a waste as some of you believe, but I just know my clients have the money to waste because it's working.

·
Registered
785 Posts
cbscreative said:
The caveat here is although that strategy is sound in face to face presentations, it doesn't offer as strong a mechanism to get those face to face presentations. Reviews published on your own web site are suspect due to abuse. I'm speaking as a HO because I need some extra push to gain extra confidence in the companies I would call vs. the ones I would weed out before making the decision on which ones to call. I also have clients who use GQ and they do very well. Granted, GQ is only part of their strategy but when you assemble all these things together with other success principles, maybe it's a waste as some of you believe, but I just know my clients have the money to waste because it's working.
I agree with you on this one. I tend to think you can drive your own reviews without GQ but that doesn't make them a bad choice if you have the resources. I keep going back and forth about review on our own site. While letters are great at helping close the deal I'm focused on getting the lead and then those things can still help close the deal. We do however try to get written letters from clients who may not be that web savvy.

·
Registered
Custom
13,675 Posts
The caveat here is although that strategy is sound in face to face presentations, it doesn't offer as strong a mechanism to get those face to face presentations. Reviews published on your own web site are suspect due to abuse. I'm speaking as a HO because I need some extra push to gain extra confidence in the companies I would call vs. the ones I would weed out before making the decision on which ones to call.

I also have clients who use GQ and they do very well. Granted, GQ is only part of their strategy but when you assemble all these things together with other success principles, maybe it's a waste as some of you believe, but I just know my clients have the money to waste because it's working.
As a HO, you would place more credence in a company they hired to massage the data than you would a hand-written testimonial letter and/or posted on a website?

Not me... polling shows people can be skewed in one way or another... I'd rather hear it from the horses mouth through what they actually took the time to write...

·
Registered
785 Posts
KAP said:
As a HO, you would place more credence in a company they hired to massage the data than you would a hand-written testimonial letter and/or posted on a website? Not me... polling shows people can be skewed in one way or another... I'd rather hear it from the horses mouth through what they actually took the time to write...
I think what he is partly saying is, the hand written letters don't help you get in front of those customers you are trying to win over. Also I am suspect of reviews posted to any site but even more so of those posted to the companies personal site.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Guys it's easy to get reviews. You just have to call,mail, and email your customer after the fact. Create a custom review site, and let them post to he popular sites. If you don't have the time to do it, hire it out.

1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First off its not easy to get a busy customer to do anything including sometimes to write the check. I do very well getting reviews but I do believe a third party does better and gets a more honest review . I tried the demo with guild quality and they did a great job . I personally asked my customers how the process was and they gave QC good review themselves. My thing is resources ($$$$$) as well and if will be better then the reviews I already get especially those posted online for SEO etc.

To me the best review SEO wise is Google they are king and who we pretty bow to get business not all of us but most.
yahoo, yelp, bing not so good maybe for a restaurant but contractors eh. ( I know in other states yelp is better for contractors not mine)
Houzz is a good site for a HO to post a review its easy and quick. ( anything that takes time and might be confusing to a HO more than likely they won't do)
I'm sure there are others but this is my experience as for handwritten notes kept in a binder to show on job , we did that for years still a good thing.
What's better about the Online reviews is the perspective customer sees them when looking at your site or G places.

Personally I think video testimonials are great but very hard to get at least for us when we tried lots of people do want want to be on the World Wide Web for everyone to see. The other thing about QC is do they own my reviews if I discontinue using there service? Also how will there site ranking effect my site when a customer searches for me online? All in all I must say they are very pleasant people to deal with QC but I'm not sold yet.

·
Registered
Custom
13,675 Posts
I think what he is partly saying is, the hand written letters don't help you get in front of those customers you are trying to win over. Also I am suspect of reviews posted to any site but even more so of those posted to the companies personal site.
More of a reason to get hand-written ones posted... I totally discount words on a screen testimonials unless there is some corroborating proof...

I don't trust third-party either, especially if it was a company paid one... I don't trust Angies, why would I trust a review from a company you paid to get them?

IMHO, the best reviews are the personal ones...

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
As a HO, you would place more credence in a company they hired to massage the data than you would a hand-written testimonial letter and/or posted on a website?

Not me... polling shows people can be skewed in one way or another... I'd rather hear it from the horses mouth through what they actually took the time to write...
KAP, it sounds like you're not familiar with the GQ model. For one, reviews on GQ are directly from the horses mouth. Besides, why would you be surprised that I place credence in a company you hire? Unless you understand all the convoluted tax code (which no one actually does) you hire an accountant. The IRS will scrutinize you much more than they will a CPA. Hiring an outside party to improve the customer experience simply shows me that you care enough to do so. There's no shame in hiring pros. In fact, it provides you the opportunity to focus on what you do best instead of spreading yourself too thin.

Lee is correct. Hand written letters are great in face to face presentations. One of the roles of your site is to serve to get more face to face presentations. Self published reviews are suspect. When you're trying to reach the most discerning buyers, most have been using the Internet far longer than most contractors. They look for trust factors and they're not easily fooled. I still advise publishing reviews and the text from hand written letters on your site. But backing it up with other methods is to your advantage.

·
Registered
Custom
13,675 Posts
KAP, it sounds like you're not familiar with the GQ model. For one, reviews on GQ are directly from the horses mouth. Besides, why would you be surprised that I place credence in a company you hire? Unless you understand all the convoluted tax code (which no one actually does) you hire an accountant. The IRS will scrutinize you much more than they will a CPA. Hiring an outside party to improve the customer experience simply shows me that you care enough to do so. There's no shame in hiring pros. In fact, it provides you the opportunity to focus on what you do best instead of spreading yourself too thin.
No, I get the concept, but don't think it's necessary... First, you are providing them with customers information that you need to verify if they are OK with that before doing so...

We do our own quality control. Two weeks after a project, we go back to meet with the customer for a follow-up and farm their warm market. What have they been doing for the past couple of weeks? Like every does when they get something new... they show it off! Part of that meeting, we present them with a Satisfaction Survey (see attached sample).

We not only aggregate the data to come to the same data conclusions that GQ does, but it is done on a personal level, and has the advantage of their personal handwriting AND if they say they are willing to provide a reference, we give them a choice of writing one or if they would allow us to have prospects call from time to time if they had a similar project.

Everyone's different, but IMHO, GQ is like Angies list only you get to pay them to call your customers to get data you should have gotten yourself already...

Lee is correct. Hand written letters are great in face to face presentations.
They look great on a website too...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts