Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hemming and hawing about this for a few days now.

I need a new plate tamper. For about $1000 I can pick up a single direction with a Honda on it and likely use the hell right out of it forever with basic maintenance.

However, part of me wants to spend the coin on a small reversible. I have used them before and they just seem to be more effective at larger lifts, plus they are nice in tight spots.

Cash reserves are low at the moment though, and tamper season is upon us. I need one for a job in a few weeks. I think the old one isn't worth rehabbing, it is on a long term loan and it was beat when I got it, that sucker has some serious miles on it.

·
Contractor
7,655 Posts
Is there a question here?

You don't state the cost difference, but it sounds like you want a reversible tamper, but only want to spend enough to get a single direction tamper.

I say get the better tool, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not so sure I actually need a reversible though, I just want one.

It's a need vs want thing that will either save or cost me about $1000.

Not to mention loading and unloading. I know for a fact a single direction will just work all the time, I have no long term experience with a reversible and how finicky things like linkages can be.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
I'm not so sure I actually need a reversible though, I just want one.

It's a need vs want thing that will either save or cost me about $1000.

Not to mention loading and unloading. I know for a fact a single direction will just work all the time, I have no long term experience with a reversible and how finicky things like linkages can be.
You will spend more than a grand on down time, ice and aspirin from kicking yourself in the arse for not buying the reversible.

They are not finicky....

Get the reversible...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone have experiences with the Bartell line?

A supplier close by has the BR1570 on sale.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts