Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got about 250' of used, real oak,T&G flooring. It's @2 1/2 " wide and variouse lengths, 4' to 8'. Want to put in living room. We've got a joiner/planner. Should we run it and take off the surface layer, or put it down and rent a floor sander? It's been stored under plastic about 10 years. There's some mold on it, what is a good way to clean it off?
We pulled all the nails, and there is a bit of damage to the T&G, not much, will this make the floor squike?
This is a new house, we are building ourselves, and money is really tight, but we have Free Labor, "it's us"...ha...
What goes under the flooring? Anything?We have plywood sub-floor now with a thin coat of primer paint.
Thanks for any advise...
lacyj

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Something like roofing felt is used to minimize squeaking. That is put down first.
I would sand it after it is installed because if there is variation in the subfloor, then you will have to sand anyway.

sounds like a deal you got!

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
What a great find! I love old flooring.
Here's some tips.
Be sure to kill the mold, all of it, use 1/3 bleach to 2/3 water. Apply with a sponge, do not soak.
Keep a block of wood with some 80 grit sandpaper wrapped around it nearby, you will probably need to sand down some proud spots where the old nails came out.
Cut about a 6" piece and rip off the tongue, this will be a tapping block for ornry pieces.
Start and finish with the straightest pieces. After the first 3 or 4 rows are down you can start to convince some of the not so straight ones to do your bidding. In the end it is difficult to get leverage to close the gaps when you are working close to a wall. If needed, a pair of customized shims pointed towards each other can apply quite a bit of pressure without messing up the wall.
Have fun!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just make sure you dewax it before you sand it.

If it were ever waxed, sanding it will drive the wax into the pores, confounding any future finishes. Then just nail it down and floor sand it, stain it and Poly about 3 times. The sanding step will remove all of the other problems you mentioned, as long as you make sure there is no wax on it.
You will love it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Under the floor put some tarpaper.

15# or 30#, doesn't matter, I use 30, because it doesn't cost much more, but it doesn't tear in handling, as easily eather. What I best like to use anymore is that teflon and foam sheet meant for floating floors. It does not squeek on any occasion, like rosin paper sometimes will.
The broken tongues, are something that you will always have a bit of. Put your nail somewhere else, and go on. You might take the split off with a chisel if it seems a problem. Use your judgement and you will do fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts