Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I am very new to finish carpentry and was curious on the cuts needed to achieve a return on part of my stair skirt. I have attached a picture on what I need. I was able to get to the right solution but I don't completely know how I got there or if it was the best way to do it.

Attachments

·
Registered
GC
1,104 Posts
Forget the return. Why on earth would you build the stairs tight to the wall? Leave a gap for the skirt to drop into and save yourself a whole bunch of cutting.

Edit: Looking at that picture again, why are you putting base over the skirt? Skirt should have a plumb cut and the base end against it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Forget the return. Why on earth would you build the stairs tight to the wall? Leave a gap for the skirt to drop into and save yourself a whole bunch of cutting.

Edit: Looking at that picture again, why are you putting base over the skirt? Skirt should have a plumb cut and the base end against it.
The stairs were carpeted, but am putting in vinyl stair treads. Those are the existing treads. The new treads I built to the inside of the skirt. I put the base over the skirt to tie it all together. Again, new to all of this so just kind of coming up with stuff as I go.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Turn the base top profile vertical at the wall corner. Judging from the slope of stairs, cut will be about 25' or so cut. Easiest way is just take scrap of base, hold it vertally matched to wall corner, & mark top of stringer/skirt at oppo side of base. The long sloped base will be cut on line from that stringer mark to the top of vertical/slope edge of base. Basically you just intersect the edges to get cut angles.

Slope Rectangle Parallel Font Handwriting

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Try not to get offended....

Dude, linemen make enough to hire a trim carpenter.
Imagine all the ways I could screw up your line of work thinking I was doing good cause I know how to wire an outlet.
You might know how to cut a miter but you’re going around your elbow to get to your arse.
Hire a trim carpenter.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
He’s probably been working 18 hour days, and now back to eight hours, he needs something to do!

So glad lineman restored our power after 11 days of outage due to the ice storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Turn the base top profile vertical at the wall corner. Judging from the slope of stairs, cut will be about 25' or so cut. Easiest way is just take scrap of base, hold it vertally matched to wall corner, & mark top of stringer/skirt at oppo side of base. The long sloped base will be cut on line from that stringer mark to the top of vertical/slope edge of base. Basically you just intersect the edges to get cut angles.

View attachment 509794
I'll give that a try. Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Try not to get offended....

Dude, linemen make enough to hire a trim carpenter.
Imagine all the ways I could screw up your line of work thinking I was doing good cause I know how to wire an outlet.
You might know how to cut a miter but you’re going around your elbow to get to your arse.
Hire a trim carpenter.
🤣 I definitely feel like I'm running in circles but I enjoy the work and learning new trades.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts