Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm looking for some suggestions. I got an upcoming project with a bunch of infill concrete walls. Basically it's an industrial building with a bunch of windows that need to be closed up for seismic retrofitting. Walls are about 18" thick. I do have #5 6-9 o.c. varies from window to window

Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to pump the concrete in from the top, since the infills are complete closed off. I've only see this done driving past high rises, or high rise repairs. Where they form and close the entire thing and pump through a port. I have pretty loose specs, but my supplier is advising against self consolidating since he wouldn't be able to give me submittals for 4000-4500psi varies from window to window. I'd also have to submit mix design for engineer review if I want to go with SCC (ass backwards, I know...)

I found some products through conforms, recommended from a concrete pumping forums, like the hose adapter to a male nipple that I can bolt onto my forms. So I was planning on putting the 3" adapter on ball valves and spacing the ports like ever 8 feet and just inject into the forms.

So my concrete plan is to order 4000psi Pea Gravel at 6" slump from the plant, and add SuperP on-site to get to around 9-10" slump for workability and flow. We'll be pumping off a line pump through about 200' of hose. Ideally I want to get 10-11" slump at the hopper. Or even high, more flow the better in this case, in my opinion. Any recs?

The other issue is vibrating. There's no real way for us to vibrate the concrete. My plan was to stick the vibrator into the closest port and jamb it between the rebar and use the rebars to vibrate, and just have my guys pretty much beat the forms with a rubber hammer as we pour.

Anyone got any suggestions or recommendations? I guess what I'm afraid of is concrete getting clogged at the ports. Is there a better way to do this? This sound like a good game plan? I've witness a few pours like this, but to be the one to actually do it, my experience there is limited, more so what to look out for and what equipment might be available.

·
Safety Third
Red Seal Carpenter
880 Posts
You can build a 45° hopper out of your form ply right at the top of the window and place through that/those. Some silicone around the perimeter helps prevent leaking. Strip right as the concrete is setting up, and finish it if it is exposed, scraping down any leaks and filling the hopper. Look into renting an external vibrator you mount to the forms if it's a big window, save your guys beating on the ply like mad, and rattling the bar isn't the best. If only doing one injection spot, add a couple extra air holes, especially at the corners. Sleeves for threaded roof in the existing wall will help hold your walers tight and ply along the edge but you still will want ties in the window if it is wide enough. A 6" slump with SuperP should get you to a good place placement-wise.

I'm sure there are plenty of other things to think of I'm forgetting but that's what I got right now.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that was what my old man was telling. Build out a hopper every 4' or so at the top.

Yup, I was planning on doing exactly like you said for securing going to shoot some Simpson Titens into the existing wall and bolt down my walers.

I looked into the external vibrators last night, unfortunately I can't find them for rent around me. If anyone in the SF Bay Area know where I can rent these, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks for the help!

·
Safety Third
Red Seal Carpenter
880 Posts
Yeah, that was what my old man was telling. Build out a hopper every 4' or so at the top.

Yup, I was planning on doing exactly like you said for securing going to shoot some Simpson Titens into the existing wall and bolt down my walers.

I looked into the external vibrators last night, unfortunately I can't find them for rent around me. If anyone in the SF Bay Area know where I can rent these, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks for the help!
That's strange they aren't available as rentals anywhere in a big city like that, all our shops carry at least a few. Try calling a big GC commercial company if you have a relationship with one, maybe they have a couple in their shop you could possibly rent from them.

·
Registered
GC
146 Posts

Thanks for the help!
Electric motor with a bolt on the shaft so it's out of balance. Small SDS rotohammer with a blunt point. Electric sander. Air chisel with a blunt point.
I've used every one of those at one time or another (never once planed), they all work.

·
Safety Third
Red Seal Carpenter
880 Posts
Electric motor with a bolt on the shaft so it's out of balance. Small SDS rotohammer with a blunt point. Electric sander. Air chisel with a blunt point.
I've used every one of those at one time or another (never once planed), they all work.
I don't think a sander will work for an 18" infill lol, but you are definitely right with the rest. An SDS Max (Hilti TE-70) with a bush hammer bit works great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found some vibration motors on Amazon. Bout 100w each. Seem a little under size but I bought one to see how strong it is. It’s only 12lbs so might be underpowered, but at like $70 each I figure I give them a try at home first. I found a couple of places that have vibration motors bout 26-30lbs each, seems to be the same one some manufactures are using. At $250 they’re kinda steep but not like $2200 steep like the Wacker ones lol. I got another month and a half to start so figure where to source some of the stuff. I mean if the $250 ones work, I’d probably buy 6. Bolt the motor down to a steel plate and use a C clamp to attach them to my forms.

ideally if I can rent them I rather do that lol. I mean my walls are 18” thick so need the beefier equipment.

maybe the brush hammer is the way to go lol. I’m forming with all symons steel ply anyways and those forms can take the beating.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts