Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built a stone retaining wall at the last playground i built. it is about 2.5 feet high at the peak. The top layer of stones is glued down with construction ashesive, but they keep coming loose. any suggestions?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have had that problem in the past especially with tumbled block. We have had good success with hydraulic cement but you could also use any mortar with less expense. I like the hydraulic b/c it sets up so quickly. Too many times homeowners or their kids get on the block as soon as we pull off the site despite warning them against it and break the bond between the cap and the wall.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
A few strategically appied dabs of a high quality silicone adhesive applied to a clean dust free surface works well. Especially well for a dry stack (Allan Block, Anchor, Keystone or Versalok) because it does not fight with the wall movement and relaxation when it returns. Any rigid mortar or adhesives will fail.

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
I know that construction adhesive is what is recommended for this application, but it just doesn't seem right, and your post is evidence of that.

If it doesn't look right, sound right, feel right, smell right, it probably aint right, no matter what the recommendations say. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
24,464 Posts
Construction adhesive should be for sub floors. foam panels, sound board, acoustic tile & god forbid 4x8 paneling.
Why anyone would use it in a masonry or stone wall is beyond me.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
griz -

The flexible silicone sealer/adhesive dabs are used to let the units move slightly. This is because a SRW or unmortared stone retaining wall is designed to allow slight movements from temperature, moisture, soil pressures or seismic. That is why they are so popular. Using a unflexible adhesive is like fighting with Mother Nature.

Because it is a flexible wall, it CANNOT be used on a rigid concrete footing and does not have to be as deep as the frost line. Without a concrete footing an SRW retaing wall can be 40' high if engineered.

Any one of the international SRW licensing companies (Allan Block, Anchor Wall, Keystone oe Versalok) websites have a list of acceptable, proven products to use for caps on a SRW wall.

Reactions: griz

·
Registered
12 Posts
We use Lumber Lock and haven't had any issues so far, but I suppose if you had a really rough block (which we don't use) it wouldn't stick nearly as well with such little surface area.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
lucky644 -

You are lucky unless they are light loads. The adhesive works well for SRW walls because the block are smooth on the top and bottom and the flexible adhesive allows the small movement. This is to attach a concrete block cap on the top of the wall.Obviously, no mortar or adhesive is allowed in the wall construction, just as a concrete foundation is not allowed even for a 40' high retaining wall.

Reactions: jg2259
1 - 10 of 10 Posts