Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here goes,

I don't really want to resurface this guys tile but his logic seems to make a bit of sense.

3 Walls and the Floor 7'H 3'W are tiled in a shower. and the Kitchen Sink.

It's a rental so HO doesn't want to re-tile the shower. HO said he just wants it resurfaced.

I'll probably just remove the sink to resurface it but I bet it wasn't removed before.

He mentioned at the end that they had both been resurfaced before, is there a safe way to remove the previous resurfacing or should I try and epoxy putty any chips in the previous job. (PUTTY RECOMMENDATIONS?!)

I've used these KITS before so I know the process, If there is anyone who does this a lot, any recommendations would be appreciated.

Of course I'm asking in advance and headed off to research it now.

Thanks!

·
Banned
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bath-fitter...No can do...

HO wants an El-Cheapo solution... I'm planning to refinish it... Like this...

Sand with 1000 grit wet/dry (Not the recommended steel wool) then Clean it with KRUD KUTTER then rinse and do it again 3 times total then wipe it down with mineral spirits then wipe with tack rags and begin spraying it with epoxy paint at 60 lbs through my conventional sprayer.

Looking for a better solution along the same lines or a Yup go do it!

Thanks anyway (I think!)

·
Registered
910 Posts
Bath-fitter...No can do...

HO wants an El-Cheapo solution... I'm planning to refinish it... Like this...

Sand with 1000 grit wet/dry (Not the recommended steel wool) then Clean it with KRUD KUTTER then rinse and do it again 3 times total then wipe it down with mineral spirits then wipe with tack rags and begin spraying it with epoxy paint at 60 lbs through my conventional sprayer.

Looking for a better solution along the same lines or a Yup go do it!

Thanks anyway (I think!)

No offense intended MZ but how in the hell do you let yourself get talked into these jobs??

Another thread doomed from the OP. Where's a Mod - may as well close it now and save us all a hangover.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
No offense intended MZ but how in the hell do you let yourself get talked into these jobs??

Another thread doomed from the OP. Where's a Mod - may as well close it now and save us all a hangover.
I think the real question is "Why would someone take a job that they don't know how to do?":blink:
Believe me I am as hard up for work as the next guy.But I'm not going to do something unless I have done it before and can give professional results...Call me crazy...

·
Banned
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I think the real question is "Why would someone take a job that they don't know how to do?":blink:
Believe me I am as hard up for work as the next guy.But I'm not going to do something unless I have done it before and can give professional results...Call me crazy...
Dude, Give it a rest already... Either help or STFU! And what kind of moron thanks such a stupid comment? Try Thanking someone who comes up with a helpful solution!

I know what I'm doing and have done a few before, Just looking for tips on improving the results!

I did the tile work too.

Attachments

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
Dude, Give it a rest already... Either help or STFU!

I know what I'm doing and have done a few before, Just looking for tips on improving the results!

I did the tile work too.
Seems to me you need help on just about every job you do....just sayin'

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
Dude, Give it a rest already... Either help or STFU! And what kind of moron thanks such a stupid comment? Try Thanking someone who comes up with a helpful solution!

I did the tile work too.
Manny, don't get so defensive :rolleyes:
I agree with someone's post. That's my right. Doesn't make me a moron.
Your post is a bit confusing by saying "I've used these KITS before so I know the process" but then ask for advice about the process.

Remember, you're asking for FREE advice. You can't expect people to always answer all of your questions when it comes to a job you are making money on.

When I run into a situation I'm not sure of how to complete, I hire someone to do it for me. If I get a chance, I'll then pick their brain to possibly further educate myself. Watching someone do something is a much better lesson then asking someone via the internet.

I think that's some pretty good advice.

Although, I'm probably on the infamous block list now anyway. :sad:

Good luck with your project.

·
Banned
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Manny, don't get so defensive :rolleyes:
I agree with someone's post. That's my right. Doesn't make me a moron.
Your post is a bit confusing by saying "I've used these KITS before so I know the process" but then ask for advice about the process.

Remember, you're asking for FREE advice. You can't expect people to always answer all of your questions when it comes to a job you are making money on. Is that not what CT is for? Asking one another for assistance or giving each other advice?

When I run into a situation I'm not sure of how to complete, I hire someone to do it for me. If I get a chance, I'll then pick their brain to possibly further educate myself. Watching someone do something is a much better lesson then asking someone via the internet. So, you want me to let someone else do a job I can do that maybe by chance they may have a slightly differnt techinique than mine so I can try it on the (NEXT) job? Asking on the internet doesn't take food off my families table.

I think that's some pretty good advice. Good for who? the guy doing my job while I watch?

Although, I'm probably on the infamous block list now anyway. :sad: That was only funny the 20th time someone used it!

Good luck with your project. Why couldn't you just say this and be done with it?
To anyone else:
Do you know how to refinish a tub or sink? I'd like to hear your process.

·
Banned
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Warner,

I would love to tear the whole thing out and do it right, It's a rental property and the HO just wants me to resurface the shower tile. I just wanted to know if anyone uses the method I use or if they have a better way that would improve my results.

Thanks

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
As well as doing complete bathroom renovations, I have owned 2 reglazing business's. Was in the business for about 15 years before I finally came to my senses and got out of it.

Your process is all wrong. You will have issues. Not trying to be a pr**k, just want to honestly tell you - do not try a job like this yourself.

If however you are hell bent, you need to buy a HVLP system, an air extraction unit (with explosion proof motor), a fresh air system, the correct preparation chemicals, the proper thinners, etc.....

And, the "kits" you buy are crap.

You also need a special rider on your insurance policy when you are spraying materials in a residence.

Finally, Did I mention that stripping an old finish off of existing tubs and tile can be a lethal process??

2nd Finally, Don't even bother with the kitchen sink - it will fail

·
Contractor
4,770 Posts
I do work in an apartment complex and have seen some of the bathroom's after a bit of wear and tear and they look crappy. The finish also does not have any luster; that could be the original application, age or cleaning techniques between tenants. Either way, I understand you wanting to get the job, but how about a cheapo $80 plastic surround which is glued to the existing tile?

Why does the owner want this done? to update the looks for functionality (hide damage)?

As far as the comments go, you're gong to have to get a thick skin and wade through comments because they will be plentiful given the situation, but you will likely find some good tips...mine is above :)

·
I like Green things
23,071 Posts
As well as doing complete bathroom renovations, I have owned 2 reglazing business's. Was in the business for about 15 years before I finally came to my senses and got out of it.

Your process is all wrong. You will have issues. Not trying to be a pr**k, just want to honestly tell you - do not try a job like this yourself.

If however you are hell bent, you need to buy a HVLP system, an air extraction unit (with explosion proof motor), a fresh air system, the correct preparation chemicals, the proper thinners, etc.....

And, the "kits" you buy are crap.

You also need a special rider on your insurance policy when you are spraying materials in a residence.

Finally, Did I mention that stripping an old finish off of existing tubs and tile can be a lethal process??

2nd Finally, Don't even bother with the kitchen sink - it will fail
I buy new one's. That crap dont last man.
Thanks for the good explanation of my short point.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
WC,
Yeah but in my head if I think like that then I qualify for the "HACK" title. I treat a Low Housing project like it was a multimillion dollar home. If I can't do it right or do it better than expected then why do it.

I have a thirst for knowlege and there is always a better way no matter how good you are. A rookie in your field could pull a suggestion out of the air and solve a problem that was costing you time and money for the past 20 years.

OFF TOPIC:
When I got into tile work The guys I was learning from were cutting 1" tiles with a diamond blade and a mini grinder. I simply took a 14"x14" piece of backer board and layed it on the saws slide then set the blade down where it barely touched the backer board and cut the sheet of 1" tiles like it was a full tile. One of the guys had been cutting those tiles for 8 years with a mini grinder along the edge of his grout float (All his floats had concave sides). He asked me how long I've been doing tile and was surprised to learn I'd never done it before.

BACK ON TOPIC:
Little things like that are why I ask if anyone has a better way or suggestion for a different product.

·
I like Green things
23,071 Posts
Yeah but in my head if I think like that then I qualify for the "HACK" title. I treat a Low Housing project like it was a multimillion dollar home. If I can't do it right or do it better than expected then why do it.

I have a thirst for knowlege and there is always a better way no matter how good you are. A rookie in your field could pull a suggestion out of the air and solve a problem that was costing you time and money for the past 20 years.

OFF TOPIC:
When I got into tile work The guys I was learning from were cutting 1" tiles with a diamond blade and a mini grinder. I simply took a 14"x14" piece of backer board and layed it on the saws slide then set the blade down where it barely touched the backer board and cut the sheet of 1" tiles like it was a full tile. On of the guys had been cutting those tiles for 8 years with a mini grinder along the edge of his grout float (All his floats had concave sides). He asked me how long I've been doing tile and was surprised to learn I'd never done it before.

BACK ON TOPIC:
Little things like that are why I ask if anyone has a better way or suggestion for a different product.

What size shoe do you wear?

That is why people give you ****.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts