Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Preserving the Past
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a trick that might make you think twice about throwing away that old hardware just because they've been painted over a few times.

In an old crock pot, throw in the old hardware. Fill the water up about 2 inches over the top of the hardware. Add about a cap full of fabric softener and set on low.
Take them out about 6 hours later and use a soft nylon brush to remove the paint.

It's as easy as that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyYsyvRsisI

·
Trees are Cool
195 Posts
In your crock pot....I don't have an extra to eat out of later.

I learned that you just put some automatic dish washing detergent (1/2 cup or so) in hot water and soak the hardware overnight. The paint just falls off. Works great.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Tom Silva did something similar on This Old House. Except they used the customers stove, an old pan and baking soda. Boiled (maybe simmered) for a short time then cleaned with a toothbrush. Stripped the paint off an old mechanical doorbell.

I have never tried any of these methods, but agree I would be uncomfortable eating out of my crock pot afterwards. Guess I need to find an old one on CL if I ever need to use this trick.

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Someone, maybe Jason, told me about this last year on CT.:thumbsup:

Ex got the crock pot in the divorce, so I just used the stove and a bread pan, on low, with a couple drops of Dawn. Worked just as good.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Thanks Jason, that is something I wish I knew several times in the past. Now, if I can manage to remember it going forward.

Tom, how long do you have to boil the tiles if they used thinset?
:>)

Good Luck
Dave
As long as it takes:thumbsup:

It may work, I've never tried it. Between the heat and water movement, the mortar not being that thick, it may break down.

Tom

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
Another good paint stripper is wood ashes. Spread an even layer over your intended and moisten. Let it sit overnight or longer and rinse.

I discovered this when I used to milk my goats. While they were on the milk stand I would dust them with ashes periodically to control parasites. Some would fall to the base and then be mositened by the wash and rinse before milking. Cleaned the paint off my milk stand.

I tried it on a table top and it worked well with two applications.

Good Luck
Dave

1 - 20 of 29 Posts