Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
President
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I looked at a log house yesterday that hasnt been kept up. The previous owners applied stain to 3 sides a cpl years ago, and did a crappy job. runs everywhere!

the 4th side hasnt been touched, in what looks like atleast 5 years.

also, they seem to have a bee a problem. especially in one corner.

I was thinking, power wash, and then see what my SW Rep has to say..

now there are holes in the logs from the bees, I was thinking squirting some bug killer in each hole, put a wood dowel in the hole covered in glue, cut it off at the surface and fir in around the dowel with a little bit of brown caulk...

thoughts?

·
Registered
Remodel
29,579 Posts
Timbor would be the usual treatment to prevent insects / rot. It's also not particularly toxic to people. Personally, I'd use Sevin dust in those holes, it will wipe out the entire colony even if they just track in into the nest.

I'd be careful about getting water into those holes when power washing...

·
Registered
319 Posts
So I looked at a log house yesterday that hasnt been kept up. The previous owners applied stain to 3 sides a cpl years ago, and did a crappy job. runs everywhere!

the 4th side hasnt been touched, in what looks like atleast 5 years.

also, they seem to have a bee a problem. especially in one corner.

I was thinking, power wash, and then see what my SW Rep has to say..

now there are holes in the logs from the bees, I was thinking squirting some bug killer in each hole, put a wood dowel in the hole covered in glue, cut it off at the surface and fir in around the dowel with a little bit of brown caulk...

thoughts?
Blind assessments can be a bit tricky but I would avoid wood dowels as plugs due to the expansion of wood. Those little boogers will cause ugly problems so I would opt for a composite like Versatex. It does have some movement but no where near wood and insects will not like the taste.

There are several available pesticides for the bees so look for a product that best matches the climate and type of wood.

If the holes were caused by birds then use a grape based bird repellent. You can add it directly to solid stain and it actually smells pretty good but woodpeckers hate the odor. Not knowing the exact size of the holes they may not have come from birds but that has been my experience and then the bees move in after the free winged development.

If appearance is an issue regarding the runs on the stain use a few cans of eco friendly paint stripper (orange color top) in spray form and hit the sides in sporadic vertical and horizontal patterns. After a couple of hours use a pressure washer and this should help lift the stain so you can get the stream between the stain and the wood.

Keep in mind, this may be the worst possible advice. ;) I can only guess from the verbal description.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts