Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used it twice and it's peeling off like a bad sunburn on both decks. This stuff is a joke!! Steer clear of it, I have to redo a huge deck because of this garbage!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had the same problem with the Olympic version, Rescue I think it is.

Peeling like crazy and faded in less than a year. Good thing its on my own deck and not a customers.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Your top coat is only as good as your bottom coat

But ya...it's cool you posted pics to get your point across

Contact them..Hopefully, they will get back to you.

Something got messed up

I don't like how their product almost exploded off as depicted in your photo

Something got messed up

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
I pressure washed my deck before using it and it's still holding up after 18 months. The only place where it's peeling is in the areas where I used putty to plug the holes and to level off the ridged boards. But I think that it has to do with the fact that I didn't sand or primer the wood putty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
These products (Restore, Deckover, Rescue It) are elastomeric coatings. Some applicators do not conduct proper surface prep, or they coat deck surfaces which should be replaced, which are deteriorated. If you look at the sites and reviews for all of these products, there are one star reviews next to five star reviews. Geographical areas with freeze/thaw seemed to have some serious failures this spring. One of the objections with these products is that they do not have good coverage, and they cost around $150 per 5 gallons, approximately.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I should add that in my test of the Rescue, the deck was washed and scrubbed as per directions, allowed to dry to below %14 moisture, and applied in the shade.

The test deck I did at my house is subjected to more extreme conditions than most decks are. It is in full sun almost all day long. Also the coating was applied in the fall and my area had an unusually extreme winter with several heavy snows and hard freezes.

It still looked fine in early spring, but with the first few hot sunny days it started going bad.

I used the Super Deck Deck & Dock last summer also which is similar to the other brands mentioned, and it is doing fine so far.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It seemed like a lot of parts of the US had a rough winter last year. Living in Ohio, I have experienced that for many years.

·
Registered
49 Posts
These products (Restore, Deckover, Rescue It) are elastomeric coatings. Some applicators do not conduct proper surface prep, or they coat deck surfaces which should be replaced, which are deteriorated. If you look at the sites and reviews for all of these products, there are one star reviews next to five star reviews. Geographical areas with freeze/thaw seemed to have some serious failures this spring. One of the objections with these products is that they do not have good coverage, and they cost around $150 per 5 gallons, approximately.
If this is the case a good portion if the problem could just be proper wet mil application. I shoot a ton of elastomerics and they have to be applied stupid thick or they just dont survive. For those of you having problems I'd check what the dry film thickness is specced at and check that against the dry film that you applied. If you dont have the correct tools to do this your sherwin williams or benjamin moore rep should be happy to come by and do it for you.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If the underside of the deck wasn't primed when installed, perhaps moisture migrated upward to the surface, bringing up the paint with it.

·
Registered
732 Posts
If you think about it your putting an elastomeric coating on top of a sponge/wood. Once you seal it in and the sun hits it the water vapor needs to escape and will blister the coating. Paint typically fails on wood for many on the same reasons, it starts out dry but through small cracks and checks the water gets in and then that areas blisters. That's the real reason that painted PVC trim holds paint so well even though its not that porous there is nothing pushing the paint off the material because the substrate doesn't hold water.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts