Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellas,

HO is supplying two of these vanities and c-tops for us to install. This is not a full remodel, just a vanity replacement, FYI.

We installed the vanities the other day only to find out that the c-tops from China were both cracked in half in their crates. Nonetheless, we also realized the way these things are supposed to install is a joke based on what I see on site.

The vanity has two foam pads on top of support arms that the sink bowl just sits on. You drop the bowl onto the pads, caulk the rim of the sink and rest the c-top ontop of the bowl and the vanity. No clips for the sink. No mechanical fastener for the C-top. The whole thing is held with silicone.

Here's the issue. The sink bowl is AT LEAST 1/4" higher than the top of the vanity and the c-top does not compress the foam enough to allow the stone c-top to actually contact the top of the vanity. There's a BIG gap.

Has anyone seen/used these before? The design seems stupid and destined to fail. I just don't think we can install these properly.

And...the floor is about 3/4" out in 4' where the vanity goes so we are having to cheat the levelness of the vanity to ensure the feet stay on the floor!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Yikes,Good luck,What does the store display look like? I install a lot of vanities in a year-Haven't seen one of those before,sorry.

·
153 Posts
Greg, keep us posted on what you end up doing. I just submitted a bid on a bath remodel and the HO wants me to install a vanity they bought from Restoration Hardware which sounds like the one you have.I figured it would be a simple install but now I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
From the drawing, it looks like you could shave (or spread) the sink supports, letting it drop...

The 'silicone only' is used alot in granite... should be ok:rolleyes:

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a mighty fine do it yourself undermount sink system they have got there.

I think the secret is in step #2 which seems to be missing on the instructions. ;)
Haha...I cropped out step two which had no bearing on this...good catch!

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From the drawing, it looks like you could shave (or spread) the sink supports, letting it drop...

The 'silicone only' is used alot in granite... should be ok:rolleyes:
Should one have to "shave", "spread", alter or hack a $2000 vanity to make it installable?

This crap drives me insane.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Should one have to "shave", "spread", alter or hack a $2000 vanity to make it installable?

This crap drives me insane.

WOW:eek:

That's not the price range that came to my mind:laughing:

Don't you have an attachment for the skidder for this:jester:

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Middle Sis had one similar from them.
It was 5', 1¼" marble top, weight 250#,
floor out 1¼ diagonal front to back.
Would have needed to move the tub
a foot besides....