Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Money Changer
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to close on the first large project this year. :clap: The homeowner had a question about permits for phase 2 (patio) and 3 (deck). I am currently involved in phase 1 only, an egress. Here is what they are asking:

"When permits for this are pulled can you help us submit for all three outside projects (egress, patio and deck) so we can just get them all approved at once? We understand all permit fees are our responsibility"

I know what I want to say, just not exactly how. Here is what I have so far:

I only pull permits for the work I am contracted to do. The township will require my certificate of insurance among other things. There are certain legal implications involved and ultimately the final responsibility for the inspections and structural integrity are mine. If you would like to have me involved in all three phases as a general Contractor, then I would be glad to obtain permits for all phases of the project.

How does it sound? I don't want to be off-putting but know I don't want someone else working on a permit I pulled.

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
I would tell them, I can certainly walk you through the process of obtaining the permits, but due to liability reasons I can not pull the permit under my name. :thumbsup:

But I would try to get a sale out of it, explain that if you are the one doing the job(s) then it won't be a problem as the liability issue is if the permit is under your name and someone else is performing the work, and you aren't in the role of a GC at that point.

·
Money Changer
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am about to close on the egress. I would like to get the deck and later the finished basement as well. That's why I didn't want to sound harsh on the permit issue. I am willing to pull all three IF I am doing the work.

I only pull permits for the work I am contracted to do. The township will require my certificate of insurance among other things. There are certain legal implications involved and ultimately the final responsibility for the inspections and structural integrity are mine. If you would like to have me involved in all three phases as the General Contractor, then I would be glad to obtain permits for all phases of the project."
Dosen't this cover the future sale aspect?

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
It does, but I changed my mind on what I would say, I would say, "So, I assume that since I will be pulling the permits that I will be performing the additional work as well? Customer, Yes well I going to ask you about that" you, "well since I am here I will go ahead and prepare an estimate for you, and we will go from there"

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,295 Posts
How does it sound? I don't want to be off-putting but know I don't want someone else working on a permit I pulled.
It sounds just fine. You could even beef it up a bit with further explanation of how a permit in your name makes you responsible for the work--if not by the letter of the law, at least in terms of your relationship with the authorities. :thumbsup:

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
Assume the sale.

"Sure I can help with the permits. I'll go ahead and prepare the quotes for your new paito and deck for your review. Once we all agree on specifications we'll have all we need to handle the permitting process."

Signing the proposal/contract is the first step in the permit process.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
We must provide the building department with plans for every project. Plans must detail all work to be done, as it will be done (or we must pay for a plans change/re-examination). In order to get the plans completed to the level of detail needed for a permit, we must have a detailed (and signed) contract.

I would go to work on the contract. Just assume that you get the job and sit down with them to prepare the contracts. If they ask about it, just be dumb-founded, "Well, you asked me to provide the permits, we can't do permits without a detailed contract." If they press it, explain that it would be unethical, actually unlawful, for you to take out permits on a job you were not contracting. Surely they would not want to hire an unethical contractor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts