Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this April I am planning a "door hanger" campaign. 5000 doorhangers in a week. Is a 1.5 % R.Rate reasonable?

While I have your ear bent, what campaign have you guys done with the highest R.Rate?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Don- are you going to be able to service 75 jobs when your 1.5% comes in? I think that 5000 in one month is overkill. You might want to spend more time with your past customers like a referral program. It does not need to cost you much money. Give away movie tickets or a dinner to your highest referer. I just don't think that all your time spent walking around with 5000 doorhangers is time well spent. The work you want might be sitting right under your nose...like your past customers. You will loose 5% of your customers a year w/o any customer retention in place. 10 years- half of your customers are gone. The easiest customer to have is one that you have worked for. There is a bond if you would...its a trust thing. You should look into calling them or sending a newsletter of sorts.. tell them about yourself and what new items you have to make the job go smoother...ie. new truck, bigger crew, to serve you better, new signs, new sprayer...People love that. Good Luck

·
Registered
92 Posts
Grumpy said:
75 jobs? No No No. 75 people will call, and then 33% of that 75 will become a job. That's 25 jobs, not 75 jobs.
True that!! Hope there is enough money left over to buy a new pair of shoes...5000 house's is a lot of walkin'

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I have 20,000 door hangers sitting in boxes in my office I had printed. I haven't put them out yet because I got so busy I haven't needed them now. Around here you can get them put out for you for about 12 cents apiece. I will be anxious to here your luck with them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is this illegal? In this area you cant even hand deliver mailers, you have to use the postal service. I'm about to do a bulk mailer myself and im very curious about the results.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Grumpy - www.doorhangers.com

Less than 4 cents each for 2 color, 2 sides.

Everything is template driven, but you don't actually have to use their templates, I uploaded my own pdf file of mine and they used the pricing you will find off the "universal" template which was 2 color 2 sides. The only thing I don't like is I they print them pretty matte finish, the next time I would probably spend more to get something that looks more glossy. Almost like those do not disturb door hangers in hotels if you know what I mean. But these are cheap and will be good to test the waters with.

For delivery, a little of both, I plan on having them delivered as soon as I get around to it. I would like to find a service that will target a little more specifically then just blanket a big area. I have some specific neighborhoods I would like to hit every 4 months, over and over again.

I also thought about when doing a job to spend 20 minutes just hitting the homes around the one I am doing if I like the neighborhood.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
In the places where I would like to do hangers you would be arrested in a matter of minutes.
In the city just south of me, they will fine you for littering if they find X number of your flyers on the ground. We don't get trash under the wipers there.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I have never know of any federal, state or local laws that could stop you from putting a flyer on a person's door, other than honoring a "no solicitations" sign that is posted on a persons house. The usual hick-up in this situation is the mail box, you can't put anything in a person's mail box. Flyers on cars are a different story because the cars are in a private parking lot and the tossed flyers create a trash issue.

You guys are saying that where you are there are local laws that prevent you from putting a flyer on a person's door at their house?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Where I want to work is inside gated communities. "No Solicitations" is posted at the gate.
You may buy the mailbox but it is federal property. Interfering with it or defacing it is a Federal offense. Hanging something on it could be construed as defacement.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Mike Finley said:
I haven't put them out yet because I got so busy
I read somewhere that the best time to advertise is when you're busy (can't remember the reasoning). Have you ever heard that? I'm curious: with a door-to-door campaign like the one you're discussing, what is the typical time frame between the time the first ads are hung and the time you can start a job that is realized from the ads.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
PipeGuy said:
I read somewhere that the best time to advertise is when you're busy (can't remember the reasoning). Have you ever heard that? .
Yeah, and I think it makes sense. Being just me I don't have a crew to keep busy so I can be selfish and I'm actually looking forward to a lull. I need to get some more skiing in, my ski season was shot to hell this year!

PipeGuy said:
I'm curious: with a door-to-door campaign like the one you're discussing, what is the typical time frame between the time the first ads are hung and the time you can start a job that is realized from the ads.
I don't think door hangers are any different then other types of ads, most people will disregard them, just like any advertisement, a few will look at it and maybe keep it for future reference because they have a project they are thinking about in a few months, a few will have an immediate need and your timing will be right and they will call and you will get a chance at the job. I see it working the same as any other ads you do. The exception being -- and what I really want to do with them is to hit the same specific neighborhoods every 4 months - repetition will get you more business and hopefully get them to think of you when they do have a project.

·
Registered
156 Posts
It's been awhile but about 8yrs. ago I hung about 500 hangers and got 3 responses, 1 appointment with no sales.

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I read somewhere that the best time to advertise is when you're busy (can't remember the reasoning). Have you ever heard that? I'm curious: with a door-to-door campaign like the one you're discussing, what is the typical time frame between the time the first ads are hung and the time you can start a job that is realized from the ads.
Out of the 5K hangers I suppose a 1.0% RRate isn't unreasonable. 50 calls. Close maybe 10% @ $400.00 per job average. 5 jobs= $2K, maybe higher, alot of varibles.

I know of no law fobidding hangers. I'm targeting VERY prestigious neighborhoods. Since I'm a new start up I have relatively few customers to depend on for referrals now, thus the ad campaigns. Yes 5K hangers is alot, the communitys I want to target have about 700 homes per neighborhood. I can hang them in a week.

I also plan on a print ad campaign. Business directory in the largest paper in town (circulation 609,234 wkly) price $140.00 month. Rrate expected 1/10th of 1%=60 calls<<<is that math right? Maybe close 4 jobs at $400 ave per job $1600.00 This ad also includes a logo, and web site address.

Smaller community paper-12,000 monthly-$28.00month -3/4% RR=6 calls=2 job x $400 (ave)=$800 for the month

Smaller community paper-3 times wkly= 13 time min. commitment 279.00 (13 ads= 12,015)-3/4%RR=6 calls=2 job x $400 (ave)=$800 for the month.

Not alot of sales, but once started I will have a base to work with. And I offer a 5% referral to customers so that will start to kick in as well.

Things are slow right now, so I have time for the doorhangers....I'm also looking at taking an ad in a local Homes & Land mag.

Thought? Suggestions?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Magnum-
8 years ago 'Y2K' was just starting to be talked about, no one had ever hear of Al Quaeda and Barney was on TV! The ad results you got 8 years ago, once, are just about as relevant to todays marketplace as yesterday's news. Carroll and Frederick counties look to me like they're exploding with growth (much more so than Baltimore, Co. - IMO). Think about putting 2500 hangers out there now. Seems like there's that many new houses in Westminster alone.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts