Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Vendor
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you guys give me a very average idea of how long a respirator filter lasts when you're dry cutting clay or concrete roof tile with a diamond blade? Say that you're doing a moderate to high number of cuts. I called OSHA and 3M and they could only tell me it depends, so I want to hear it from roofers or really anyone who works with particulates and respirators.

·
Designer/Contractor
5,320 Posts
No idea but be sure and read the thread on silica dust in today's General Discussion section.

·
Vendor
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I'm just looking for a good approximation so I can determine how many respirators one would use over a period of 25 years, the consensus here seems to be once a day if you're doing a pretty decent amount of work and maybe more often than daily if need be. Does that sound accurate?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,676 Posts
Respirator or dust mask? If it's a respirator it'll probably never go bad as all you are producing is dust, clean the filter, replace it when you notice it's harder to breath through it. If it's a dusk mask replace them every day.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
I would think if you smell it when you're wearing it you're breathing the bad stuff. Are you referring to smelling it on the outside of the filters?
Bingo! I have the 3m 6000 series respirator. It has two catridges covered by a cotton filter. The cotton filter is what goes bad first.

So in dusty situations, look at your filters at each break. If it completely covered its shot.

In chemical situations, when the cartridge is bad the fumes are able to pass through.

Another tip: clean shaven is a must to create a good seal. Facial hair WILL create voids around the seal allowing the bad stuff in.

When you put your respirator on cover the cartridges with your hands & breathe in. If you have a proper seal, you should not be able to get air in.

Safety third!

·
Vendor
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's fantastic driftweed! That'll really help with my figures as the 3M 6000 series was the respirator I had in mind when coming up with my numbers. Thank you so much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts