Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of residing jobs the other day and got myself into a thought I can't come to a conclusion on. What do you guys typically do with the incoming power during a residing job? Typically the power here is overhead attached to the house with a weather head and the SEU cable down to the meter then inside. Or if a new service was done first underground in conduit. What do you do during each situation? Have power disconnected or work around it?

·
Registered
15,324 Posts
I call the utility company to remove screws holding the meter on so I can go behind it. The master head usually relies on a long eye hook. I often nail a roof bracket to the roof and loop some rope through the cable so I can disconnect, install need fascia then put back.

I can do it without touching it directly. If it's in the wall instead of the fascia I go around it.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
A couple pieces of rope and some temporary heavy eye hooks should do it:whistling Tie them off higher then the are installed, side up and then reinstall the insulators or new ones if they are in bad shape.

As for removing the meter, just pop it out for a second remove the screws and then reinstall.

Dave

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
When I'm ready I call the emergency number for the power company, and they come out in about 10 mins and disconnect at the pole. I already have siding up to the line and have a new mount ready to go in the piece below where it currently is. So they move that for me as I pop off the meter box to mount my PVC plate behind that

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Love a little humor Patrick lol... I know this is a fairly newb ? But the connections the power line makes with the tails going to the weather head, they insulated? So theoretically no tingle if you'd touch them? Believe me I never plan on touching lol... What the power company typically charge to unhook and rehook in shirt time like that?

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,007 Posts
Most of the time work around it. if a pipe mast just make a cap to go around it. If the old power lead is in real bad shape try to get the customer to have it replaced. Will not pop the meter head kind of a no no here.

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
Most of the time work around it. if a pipe mast just make a cap to go around it. If the old power lead is in real bad shape try to get the customer to have it replaced. Will not pop the meter head kind of a no no here.
This is what I do. Or I may take coil and slide behind and then j it. It depends on how in the weather it is.

·
Registered
15,324 Posts
I hate jay channeling or wrapping of the meter pipe. What a water trap. I have spray painted conduit to blend in the color of the new siding.

I guess there is a time and place for everything. I will have the meter pulled from the utility company and side behind the wiring then attache new straps but.....90% of what I encounter is piped into the basement not through the meter panel. So we have a jumper conduit exiting the meter down then looped into the foundation.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,007 Posts
I hate jay channeling or wrapping of the meter pipe. What a water trap. I have spray painted conduit to blend in the color of the new siding.

I guess there is a time and place for everything. I will have the meter pulled from the utility company and side behind the wiring then attache new straps but.....90% of what I encounter is piped into the basement not through the meter panel. So we have a jumper conduit exiting the meter down then looped into the foundation.
If done right just not seeing how it is a water trap.

·
Roofing Siding Windows
47 Posts
Do everything we can around it then call and have the electrical company come out and remove the box so we can put a meter block behind it and then re-secure it and have them put the box back together.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts