Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My home is 28 years old and has cedar siding (vertical) 4x9 sheets.
The siding has weathered over the years to the point that it is very porous
i need to replace it or cover it. I do not want to decrease the overall value by just covering with vinyl siding unless this could be done and still keep the home from appearing as just a cover-up.. i Don't really want to pull all the siding off because i would need to take the soffit and replace it but if that's the BEST way then thats what ill do.. What would you recommend or do if it were yours?
Thank you

Steve

·
Windwash
595 Posts
If it were my house, I would use the existing as sheathing and replace and properly flash all the windows (28 years old?), integrate 30# felt with the flashings and side with Hardie, paint and relax for the next 20 years.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Another option is cedar shake, if you want to keep it cedar. Install back band around the openings if necessary and install new flashing to openings.

Don't know what kind of trim you have ( painted/stained cedar) so you may have to make the back band your self.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I had a similar situation. Reused the siding as sheathing, installed replacement windows over the sheathing and installed vinyl simulated shakes. The stucco is scheduled to be painted to match the siding next weekend.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
did you just leave the existing siding pull the windows, reside over the old then install new windows?
thanks for the pictures, your makeover is looking really nice.
thank you

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
did you just leave the existing siding pull the windows, reside over the old then install new windows?
thanks for the pictures, your makeover is looking really nice.
thank you
Thanks,

I actually replaced the front and back windows a few years ago. I flashed them top and bottom, using the Z flashing from the T-111 siding to counter the top and caulked the side flanges to the existing siding. The side windows got replaced just before the siding went on this spring, same details though.
Siding flanges got taped to the old siding, #30 felt over tape, then the windows were trimmed with Certainteed vinyl siding lineals. I left an aluminum flashing behind the bottom nailing flange that flashed out over the last full coarse of siding to expel any water that found it's way into the J on the lineal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not as experenced as most of you. I live in a small town and don't think there are any siding contractors in the area. I worked with the carpenter crew full time as we built my home years ago. i have helped carpenter crews on a few builds but did not do them alone so there is much i don't know. I had an addition to my home a few years back and just had it rough framed and my son and i finished the addition. i have a couple of rentals that i have gutted and redone the inside but they are not ones i wanted to speed a lot of money on. so i just vinyl sided 1 of them and patched and painted the others. of course my house is a big investment for me so i want to do it properly. I thought
i probably had the skills and time but thought i would ask a few questions before i proceeded. Thanks again for your time.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
the diy forum has a lot of good info for homeowners who want to side their own house
it really would be a good place for you to search and ask questions there
even though your a trade professional from the sounds of your post you should go to square one
and that's a good place to start,I'm not trying to be a smart a** check it out you will see
good luck with your project

1 - 10 of 10 Posts