Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a contractor tell me that the residential lot homes square foot prices for South Carolina is on average a $1.25. I live on the boarder with North Carolina and the price in North Carolina is $2.25-$2.50. Was this G.C. trying to low ball me?

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
PurposeOne said:
I had a contractor tell me that the residential lot homes square foot prices for South Carolina is on average a $1.25. I live on the boarder with North Carolina and the price in North Carolina is $2.25-$2.50. Was this G.C. trying to low ball me?
Maybe, I don't know your market area. I'd have a hard time even doing the service for a buck twenty-five a square foot. I'm in central PA, and I average about 6 bucks a square foot for new work residential (service included). I DO NOT estimate this way, but sometimes I do the math just out of curiosity to see what my square foot price is. I bid a specific print with specific equipment and devices, and not by the square foot. I do know that much of the hurricane related new electrical work in FL is between 2 and 3 bucks a square foot for a code minimum install.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The only way to make money at $1.25 per square foot is to do the work myself. I think that price is way too cheap. The service is back to back with no disconect. I originated from Tampa,Florida where lot homes go from $3.00 to $4.00 per square foot. But, the cost of living is cheaper in the Carolinas. If it is $1.25 there needs to be oganization between electrical contractors to raise the price. I would agree that the take of method is a more electrical contractor friendly way of estimating. But, around here you can only do it that way on custom homes. You would not have a chance on lot homes. I am in the wrong business if G.C.'s are getting electrical contracts for this cheap?

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
I would not do the work for that cheap. This is why I don't like production work. They shop the hell out of the price and get the lowest bidder usually. Of course this is typically a case of "You get what you pay for".
I don't even bother bidding jobs like this. I'll take the custom home any day.

·
Electrical Contractor
94 Posts
Purpose
I am about 50 miles south of border and price here is around $2.25. Keep looking for other GC's, or individuals building a house. Is GC furnishing all materials.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I greatly appreciate that number. I figured that was where the price should be. I am in Fort Mill, SC. The only thing provided by G.C. is the lighting package. $2.25 is profitable. It is still cheaper than what I prefer. It definately means that the G.C. will get the bare minimium. I do not like to do work that way. The G.C. or developers are making a killing. It is always he who has the biggest stick makes the most money. Good Day.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
I nominate this thread as the oldest resurrected thread on CT for the month of May, 2011.

·
Super Moderator
10,672 Posts
I nominate this thread as the oldest resurrected thread on CT for the month of May, 2011.
5 1/2 years. We might have a winner...

A couple weeks ago, I was bored and looked through the archives for the first threads. I was tempted to bring one up.:whistling

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.