Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Residential wiring issue

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  griz 
#1 ·
I'm a carpenter since '06 when I started with my father. I worked for several companies and independents over the years both residential and commercial. I'm factory trained Jeld-wen, Simonton, Andersen, Trex and VSI certified installer. I own and operate a small handyman biz out of New England. Lots of bath remodels, decks, doors and windows, and misc. repairs. I did a couple doors for these people and also rebuilding the front porch rails/balusters. They asked if I could install the fixtures, and I'm ok with fixtures and some basic electrical but I don't know how to troubleshoot this. The wires are all black clothe sheathing, no colors to denote hot or neutral. How can I differentiate the two so I can properly install these fixtures without blowing old fuses over and over?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks to the mods for deleting my previous post for no reason, even though I'm a contractor and you didn't even allow me to reply to your question about who I was.
I've been operating my independent contracting business since 2015 and I just had an electrical question to ask. Trying to actually fulfill this forums purpose, why do legitimate posts get removed so hastily and haphazardly?

#2 ·
Because this place gets inundated with DIYers asking questions, so it’s possible that one legitimate contractor that is unknown might get swept up.

The solution to that is to post an introduction, so we all know who we’re dealing with. 👍

Thanks for the intro. 👍

As far as your question, the first thing I want to point out is that you most likely have an old ungrounded system.

NEC only allows extensions or modifications of ungrounded systems if you either pick up a ground ( there are a few ways to do this) or to add GFCI protection.

There may also be AFCI requirements in your area.

As far as identifying which is hot and which is neutral, a no-contact voltage tester is the easiest way.

However, you may wish to include the services of a qualified electrician for this project, as it seems you are lacking in some basic electrical knowledge, and it’s not worth someone’s life or a fire over a small job.

Not a criticism, just friendly advice. 👍

#4 ·
If the 1st thing that comes to mind when dealing with said issue isn’t using a tester you have no business dealing with it. As said above you could easily be seriously injured or possibly killed. As Delta mentioned get a qualified sparky to handle it & have some respect for the trade. I saw 1st hand a s/rocker wringing with sweat die trying to deal with a similar issue. Something I’ll never forget or want to witness again. Not pretty

Mike

#5 ·
Thanks to the mods for deleting my previous post for no reason, even though I'm a contractor and you didn't even allow me to reply to your question about who I was.
As noted above, it's pretty understandable why you were seen as a DIY'er. An introduction would have helped. Also, one of the fields to fill in when you register as a new member asks you to enter your contracting trade. You left that blank.

Thank you for clarifying, and welcome to the forum.

As others have said, it would be safest for you to enlist the aid of an electrician or at least someone who is familiar with this type of issue. It is not the intended purpose of this site to provide tutoring in fields you may not be familiar with.

Having said that, good luck with it and I hope you stick around. (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.