Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Dan
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep getting emails every so often from companies trying to sell me an osha safety manual. I'd like to know how many of you guys that are in residential only and OWN the company, conduct safety meetings.

I am a small contractor with 1-2 employees plus myself. I bought a safety package a few years ago that came with topic sheets for meetings and a place for the employee to sign that they attended the meeting. It was over 200 dollars and basically was just paper sheets that i could hand out or copy for meetings that had a different topic each week. Has to be a better solution for smaller contractors.

I'm have never heard any of my local contractors mention anything about conducting safety meetings, and that it seems like it's something that happens with much larger companies mostly in commercial construction.

·
Super Moderator
10,454 Posts
Dan:

A few years ago, when getting group coverage for WC, I was given a packet by the group concerning safety meetings. We basically just went through the book a chapter at a time once a week. We have since printed out safety policies for the employee and the employer. Every new owner gets one signed by me, and they sign one that I keep. No one has ever checked up on whether or not we conduct meetings, what we cover, etc. It might be a different story if we have a WC claim.

·
Banned
3,020 Posts
We don't.

I keep the meetings to the job sites at hand and work for that or the coming week.

WCB sends out emails with posters and videos - I like to work these into our meetings. It's always good to show the younger guys who died this month in BC at work. Keeps them from feeling indestructable...

JW

·
Registered
36 Posts
OSHA requires that you train all your employees at the time of hire regarding identifiable and foreseeable exposures.

You are then also required to continually retrain to address newly identified hazards.

OSHA's I2P2 (also known as IIPP - which means Injury & Illness Prevention Plan) is going into effect which will mandate much more stringent employer safety oversight.

As it pertains to jobsites: generally we are supposed to have a tailgate meeting for each jobsite addressing the specific hazards of that site.

Cal-OSHA also mandates that construction trades have tailgate meetings at least every 10 days. The code does not say these meetings have to be documented, but in the regulatory world if you don't document it, it did not happen.

We have documented tailgate meetings at least weekly to cover ourselves.

·
PRO
96 Posts
A well designed and documented safety program can help to reduce work comp and other insurance premiums, help with work comp claims and prevent fines if OSHA performs an inspection, which they do for fatalities. The program does not have to be complicated or convoluted, just address the safety concerns of the type of work being performed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts