Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting into residential bidding for new construction and I am wondering what a reasonable rate is per square foot? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
How much per square foot does wire cost? How many breakers in a square foot? Do you buy nail-on boxes by the square foot? Does the supply house advertise devices at $x per square foot? Does a 200a service cost twice as much per square foot as a 100a service? How many square feet are there in dedicated circuits such as an electric stove, or electric dryer, or and electric water heater?

In short: NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER price electrical work based on square feet. It just don't work.

·
Nouveau Eccentric
2,100 Posts
RS and angus, GREAT tag team, :thumbup: i had to pick myself up off the floor and pull my side back together. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: i loved it. :clap:

·
Registered
103 Posts
The pricing must be different in different areas because you can get electrical priced by the sq. ft. all day here in our area. Although this is probably not the most cost efficient or profitable way to price your service. A sq ft price includes no extra bare minimum code compliance.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
The pricing must be different in different areas because you can get electrical priced by the sq. ft. all day here in our area. Although this is probably not the most cost efficient or profitable way to price your service. A sq ft price includes no extra bare minimum code compliance.
Are you kidding?

Are these cookie cutter houses? That's the only way I could see this working.

If every house I did was the exact duplicate of the last, with no changes then I could quote it that way. This is only in an assembly line scenario.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts