Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background - I have built 5 homes (1992-2002 michigan) from decking to move-in (framing, plumbing, electrical, cabinets, carpet, etc) doing all the work except drywall and shingles. The only inspection issues have been minor electrical, plumbing corrections. I've been lucky enough to get help for a couple weeks to get the outside walls and trusses up.

I am preparing plans to build a home in Northeast Texas and I would like to farm out some of the heavy work like exterior walls with sheeting, and trusses. And of course that roof sheeting and shingles. My question: Is it practical and reasonable to contract out the shell only and put up the interior partitions myself. No interior walls are load bearing. The roof/ceiling is all scissor truss. I have a couple framing books that show this as one method. Can I just build all waals parrallel to the trusses, then stand and position. I thought I would just leave the center girder low 1/4" to make setting walls easier, then level after all walls are done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can be done

I suppose as long as you have enough room to tie in with the top plates, and the walls are stiff, then it should be fine. I've never done it, but theoretically it should be just fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've done this before in upstate New York. We would build two or three shells with shingles and siding in the summer. Then we would have nice warm structures to work in in the winter. The only draw back was the tight quarters for moving materials and such around.
Coots

1 - 4 of 4 Posts