Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
GC/ Master Electrician
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working as an electrician for going on 15 years now. I have stuck primarily to commercial, institutional, and Industrial. While working for other companys in the north east I was requested to do a few high end houses in the 1 mil. up range. Maybe 5 houses in my entire career. Of course all I had to do was the install. I am now working in East TN. and have my own small company doing the same work as before. I have been asked by a very well connected person to do the electrical work on his sons house in North Carolina. He even offered to pay for my testing and license fees. Everything sounds well and good. I have done a complete takeoff on the blueprints and faxed the parts list off for a few quotes. I was wondering if anyone could give me an adverage price of wiring a 2000 sf house with 3 baths, 3 bedrooms, 200 Amp service, and no fixtures. Or whatever would be close so I can see if I am even in the ball park. I came up with $8,000 labor wich seems to be alot for this type of work.

Thanks in advance

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
My total price would be about 8K at a minimum or as high as 12K without looking at the prints. Prices vary a lot from market area to market area, and can vary by how closely you'll wire to absolute code minimum or whether you'll make it "nice" and how much structured wiring (low voltage) stuff you're doing. I understand the code minimum installs in your area are between 2.50 and 3.50 per square foot, so that would be from 5K to 7K total for a local contractor. I don't do "per square foot" estimating. A complete takeoff, such as you have done, is the way to fly.

It's hard for a commercial contractor to switch gears and figure out a way to make money on residential work. I come from a mostly commercial background, and resi is certainly another ballgame. In residential, I do mostly just service and only wire customs and higher end homes.

Best I got...

·
GC/ Master Electrician
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MD
I am from your area. I got a better clue of prices there then here. Not a good thing since I no longer live up there.
I would not be doing this house if it were not for the major possiability of getting alot of commercial work from this guy. I refer to it as my suck up policy clause. As in I don't do residential, OH you own what, well maybe we can help you out.
My price of $8,000 is not total cost just labor, im expecting maybe another $4,000 for materials. Putting the Total cost up to about $12,000. Does the sf price of $2.50 include materials also. If so im way over but heck I also have to stay in a motler for 5 weeks or so.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Price

$3 a foot. I do these all the time. My price includes parts and labor. I price remodels and additions per box but new construction by the foot. $3 a foot for a plain vanilla house is fine. I used to price new construction by the box but I saw patterns emerging, I was always getting a certain price per foot.

So I price per foot, then add individual items like recessed cans, etc.

Whoop! Whoop!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts