Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am kind of new to this forum stuff, so I guess a self-intro is in order: I have been in the residential design field for 15 years and have enjoyed every bit of it.

I was wondering if there are other designers out there who are independent like me? How did you build your business? And what are the biggest challenges you face with your business?

I guess those questions would also apply to general contractors who do their own designing.

I look forward to getting familiarized with this site.

God bless,
Larry

·
Eater of sins.
4,705 Posts
Hi Larry, another independent designer here, kinda slow here in CA. how is business there?

Most of mine business is word of mouth and just stopping by the city Planning and Building Safety offices handing out cards and talking to other contractors and home owners.
I have a website I built and that has actually brought a few small jobs (one from Texas).

I am thinking of spending some precious cash for advertising though I haven't decided where to first.

Andy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response, guys,

I built my business by mailing out hundreds of letters to general contractors and residential building companies. The response was zero at first, but eventually the phone started ringing and then word of mouth referrals kicked in. I haven't mailed letters for close to 5 years.

Business is really slow right now, so I am praying hard and thinking of doing some type of advertising again. We are working on a home design course aimed at new homeowners: basically educating them about various aspects of home designs and the building relations that go into that before they ever start building. Hopefully, that will bring in more new home construction work as far as designs are concerned.

I will try to keep everybody posted as we progress.

God bless,
Larry

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Larry
I am also slowly trying to get into design work also after 40 years of building it's starting to get harder to get up in the morning if you know what I mean' what software do you use I use Chief Architect been using it for quite awhile for my own projects things are sloooow here in MA also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts