Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many guys have the res. basic vs the general license? Do you find it restrictive? What did you do to prep for the exam?

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Fingersmasher said:
How many guys have the res. basic vs the general license? Do you find it restrictive? What did you do to prep for the exam?
In Michigan you can apply for a contractors lic which only covers that trade you test on or take the builders test for the same amount of money and do it all.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see. I realize now that this is a bad question... In Ga there are 4 different tiers I think. Res. basic covers single family homes not exceeding two stories.

I didn't realize that it was that different in other states.

Thanks Gary

·
Registered
785 Posts
We are licensed as residential basic as is any contractor who was grand fathered in. It's two stories above the basement level I believe, though not entirely sure. Unless you plan to build in Buckhead it shouldn't be a limiting factor at all.

·
Remodeler
855 Posts
In Florida there are three: residential, builders, and general. Resi is what I have but I do strictly residential remodels/ repairs. So for me it's fine. The only gray area for me is it's supposed to be up to three family structure, so if it's a villa or condo I'm limited as to what I can do. Flooring cabinets or painting is fine no major bath remodels though ie can't pull permits there.

Builders would allow condos and up to three story commercial. I really didn't have too much commercial experience to verify for that license, so path of least resistance was the residential.

As far as exam prep, I got every book necessary for the exam and read them over to cover. Actually learned quite a bit like that, it was less about knowing the info, more knowing where to find it. Our exams are open book. Hope this helps and good luck!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks TA,
Sounds like Florida is pretty similar to ga as far as the licenses go, and exactly the same with the open book exam. There are sites that show you exactly what to highlight and where to put tabs (for a fee of course).
Do you guys have to take a "business and law exam" too?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts