Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone happen to know if Resi-Gard (sometimes called Orange Smurf tubing) protects structured wiring from high-volt EMI?

My customer is very concerned about interference, especially on the speaker wire. To accommodate, we are trying to keep at least 18" clear of all high volt, but it is not possible everywhere and Resi-Gard from Carlon seems a possible solution.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Hi,

The "resi-gard" as you call it is just corrugated plastic tubing that is orange.

Any EMI will never see it therefore will travel straight through it. :no:

EMT or metal spiral SealTight on the other hand will give some deflection quality to your attempt to stop the EMI from penetrating the wire in-cased there in. :blink:

Hope that helps.

Have a good rest of the week.

Les

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Smurf does very little for EMI protection, what is the application anyway? Sometime people get their knicker's in a twist over non-issues. There is probably an easyer way to get around it, such as crossing the high-voltage at 90 degrees and keeping parallel runs as short as possible. Conduiting only parts of a run is a bad bad idea (noting wrong its just a time-wasting PITA).

My customer is very concerned about interference, especially on the speaker wire.
Sounds like your customer is a fool, I won't get into detail but if its speaker wire don't sweat your balls off about it ;) I bet you dollars to donuts you could run UTP hundreads of feet parallel to a 15 amp 120v supply w/o any issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts