Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a mason and have limited masonry experience, so I apologize for this rookie question. What is the proper way to reset a concrete block in a foundation wall? By this, I mean the mortar supporting a few top course blocks has eroded and these blocks aren't bearing weight. This was my solution. Feel free to have a laugh at the hackery. (this is my home, I would not be improvising this kind of thing for a client) :no:
shimmed block.jpg

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
This is not really an answer... I'm not a mason either... but can't you grout it with some dry pack.....?

sorta like a stemwall mistake....

but there may be some better technique for block.......

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I typically would do the repair like you are doing....ahhh, maybe a little more precise with the mortar joints.
Do you have wedges on the outside too? You should.
I like the plastic carpenter shims, slide them out when the mortar sets up enough to support the block, joint off everything nice and neat.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I do pretty much the same thing, soak the shims overnight first though, they are easier to pull out that way.

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should have thought to put something on the shims as a releaser because I broke them off and theyre wedged in. I shimmed tight from both sides and forced as much mortar (just used quickcrete type s) in to the joints as I could. The wood will probably wick more moisture into the joint and cause it to fail. Any other repairs I'll use composite and remove them. Thanks for the advice!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts