Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Hair Splitter
18,322 Posts
I'm just saying I WAS rewarded, rather than taxed for these purchases that were resold.
Not being taxed is not a reward. I just don't understand that mentality. You earned that money. It is YOUR money. I don't think of my paycheck as a reward but hard earned money, so I will never think of a refund or deduction as a reward.

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
Not being taxed is not a reward. I just don't understand that mentality. You earned that money. It is YOUR money. I don't think of my paycheck as a reward but hard earned money, so I will never think of a refund or deduction as a reward.
That's a bit like saying you're rewarded with freedom because you didn't commit a crime.

·
Registered
9,177 Posts

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Hire an accountant to file your taxes

You don't like people stepping on your toes being a DIYer doing construction work because they don't know...quit trying to be an an accountant filing your own taxes.

Tax laws can be complicated, I guarantee you doing your own that you have errors, being self employed whether sole prop or corporate has many advantages, but you need someone who knows and understands the rules to complete the forms properly for you.

This includes items like the cost of doing your business like the materials, the phone bills, the office, the vehicles, and all there associated items. Certain value of tools get immediate 100% write off first year, some get depreciated.

It's above my pay grade and experience to figure it all out and I'm not interested in doing my own tax forms. Chances are you are missing so many items it's beyond funny.

And when it's done properly by an accountant and your refund is higher...me and the boys here...we all drink beer, your buying

·
Hair Splitter
18,322 Posts
Hire an accountant to file your taxes

You don't like people stepping on your toes being a DIYer doing construction work because they don't know...quit trying to be an an accountant filing your own taxes.

Tax laws can be complicated, I guarantee you doing your own that you have errors, being self employed whether sole prop or corporate has many advantages, but you need someone who knows and understands the rules to complete the forms properly for you.

This includes items like the cost of doing your business like the materials, the phone bills, the office, the vehicles, and all there associated items. Certain value of tools get immediate 100% write off first year, some get depreciated.

It's above my pay grade and experience to figure it all out and I'm not interested in doing my own tax forms. Chances are you are missing so many items it's beyond funny.

And when it's done properly by an accountant and your refund is higher...me and the boys here...we all drink beer, your buying
My wife went to school to be an accountant and we still hire a cpa to do all of my taxes.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Sales tax varies by state so you always need to check with YOUR state's requirements. Where I am, Chris's description would be correct. I worked for a scene shop at one point who found out, after five years of business, that because the scenery was sold as a unit, even though it was assembled on site, that we should be charging sales tax on it. Want to know how much sales tax a business owes on over 3 million in delivered scenery?:no:

If I bought a $1000 entry door and installed it for a customer then I would just pay the sales tax at the lumberyard and invoice the customer for $1k. No more sales tax owed. If I bought that same door as tax exempt at $940 and then invoiced the customer for the door at $1140(includes markup) plus the labor, I would have to charge and pay sales tax for 6% on the $1140 instead of just the $940.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts