Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Mobile Sandblasting
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok all, I stripped my pot of its plumbing tonight to inspect and replace worn parts. I have a Schmidt 6.5 pot with combo-micro with the pinch valve. The Thompson valve that I purchased about 2 years ago is the air activated media shut off. With air going to it, it lets the media flow. Shut the air off and it stops the media flow. My question is.....

Can I run a line from that 1/4" air port to the Thompson valve or is there a better place to run the air from. Painter explained it to me once before but I was confused . Hope this all made since......Here are a couple of pics.

Attachments

·
Mobile Sandblasting
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Could I run the air line like in the pic from that air port to the valve then down the hose to a valve. When the valve is closed it forces air into the Thompson, when I turn the valve it lets the air flow. I don't know.....the yellow line is depicting my new air line..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The combo valve is not meant to be used with the Thompson Valve Sir. You need to go all electric remotes with the thompson Valve. The Thompson valve is meant to keep your pot pressurized all the time by the use of a Normally Closed valve in the loop. It will never really work properly the way you are wanting it too. You would be better off going with a Micro Valve with this set-up. It is like the Thompson but without the air activated piston.

·
Mobile Sandblasting
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I have the valve, and I have an electric deadman switch because I had planned on switching over. I guess now is better than never. What am I going to need? Like I said I already have the valve (if this will work with electric) and I have a ele. dead man switch. I have been lookig on line for the stuff but dont know what I am looking for.

·
Mobile Sandblasting
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thompson Valve II (TV II)

Part Numbers:
1-1/2" with Urethane: SM2152-108
1-1/4" with Urethane: SM2152-107

The second generation Thompson Valve II is designed to provide the ultimate in metering performance. It is a normally closed, self sealing, abrasive metering valve with instant, smooth response to either pneumatic or electric deadman controls.
This fail-safe valve shuts off abrasive flow to the nozzle and seals the tank at the
same instant. The Thompson Valve II is ideal for multiple outlet use and is easily
adaptable to most existing blasting systems.
• The ultimate in metering performance with larger aperture

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]
ComboValve
Part Number: SM2223-000

The ComboValve Does Double Duty
Replacing the Need for Two Valves

The ComboValve is a normally closed, self sealing, fail-safe valve that combines the functions of the air inlet valve and exhaust valve, eliminating premature failure of the exhaust system. It is controlled with either pneumatic or electric remote controls. None of the usual wear or failures found in other blowdown systems can occur with a ComboValve.
The ComboValve eliminates the need for abrasive traps, expensive plungers and diaphragms that can cause frequent, unscheduled and costly downtime.
“ One Less Valve is The Advantage”
“ The ComboValve reduces costly downtime”
• One valve does the job of two
• Simple design is easy to disassemble and maintain
• Rugged corrosion resistant construction
• For safety, spring maintains valve in off position until activated by operator
• Uses common ¾” 4-ply blast hose for exhaust
• Extended length exhaust hose can be used to port exhausted air to any desired location
• Assembled by Axxiom technicians with Schmidt experience
• All Axxiom valves undergo a thorough quality check before they are shipped

[/FONT]

Why does this say that my valve can be used with either pneumatic or electric deadman controls? They also say that my Combo valve can be used with electric controls. I'm confussed!! Anyone know what I need to make this thing work electric or pneumatic?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Your Schmidt pot

Hey Killzone
can you post one or two pictures of your pot? The pot I have is one I picked up very cheap but, I have no idea what brand it is all my valves are manual no remotes. I would like to start bringing it up to date it works great for what I do. Long story short it kind of looks like your

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Ok. Your Combo Valve is meant to be used on a blast pot with electric or air remotes. The combo valve opens and releases the pressure on your blast pot everytime you stop blasting. The Thompson valve is used on a blast pot where the pressure is kept on the pot during stopping of blast. The air stream is stopped by the use of a normally closed valve placed in line of your pusher line on your pot. This stops the air flow to the blast hose when you stop blasting and the thompson valve stops the flow of abrasive. To fill the pot you have to manually shut off the air to the pot and release the pressure. Give IDS Blast a call in INDY and they can set you up with what you need to do your conversion.

·
Mobile Sandblasting
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I called IDS today They said that there is a way to make it work but he was not fimiliar with that setup. They said that he has seen the set up before. However; I am going to go with an electric contols with a manual blow down. I have the Thompson valve, and the electric deadman switch. It seems that all I need now is a 12v electric control valve $145.00 and an automatic air vlave $140.00 to complete my system. Does this sound right to you Painter?
Blastzone, here is is what you want to see...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Killzoneq2 that would be correct. Dan does know his stuff. Next time you talk to him, tell him that Benjy says hello. Trying to take the Thompson Valve to a Pneumatic set-up could be done, but the on/off cycle would be very slow due to having to pressurize the valves to work. Hope you get your pot working right. Dan can really help you out. He's a good guy. As far as Judy. You do not want to Piss her off. Have a good day.

·
Mobile Sandblasting
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dyer I sent you a PM...Benny thanks for the info today.. I purchased all of the plumbing today just waiting to see if I can find a 12v control valve and automatic control valve at a reasonable price.

·
Mobile Sandblasting
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Im gonna try and keep this up dated until I finish the project. It may be of some use later on down the road.

I went to 15 different places looking for a automatic air valve 1 1/4" and nobody knows what I was talking about. I had a 12v air control valve sitting right under my nose. It came off of the NOS system my brother and I had on our S-10 with the 454. It is a closed valve with 1/4" outlets. There is no reason this should not work with my application. It only has two wires coming out of the solenoid. Gonna run one to the battery, one up to the deadman and back to the solenoid to complete the circuit. I paid $60.00 for the this a few years back, better than the $120.00 to $160.00 blasting suppliers want. Now all I am lacking is the automatic control valve and the 1 1/4" to 1/2" T pipe. I cant find the T pipe local so will have to order it.. It's not a high dollar item so it will not break you for the project. And of course all of the 1/4" brass fittings can be found at any hardware store, plumbing or lumber store. I am going to bypass #23 which is the system shut down valve. I figure if I want to shut the system down, I will just unplug it.

Attachments

·
Mobile Sandblasting
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Well I broke down and went to IDS today. Purchased the two parts I needed.. The auto air valve and the "T" pipe, $235.00. I am going to sit down and make a list of what small fitting I need this weekend and attempt to get it done. I hope that 12v valve I got works for this application. I got all of the pipe fittings just hand tight.. Is there a trick to putting this stuff on? It seems that when I attempt to tighten one, another piece hits the pot and so on......... Guess I have to sit down and look at it for a while to figure out the puzzle. I will keep you all updated...I also bought 6 rolls of teflon tape. Hope its enough.

Attachments

·
Mobile Sandblasting
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That Kwikfire is over 300.00 new by its self and their auto valve was priced the same as IDS. They're proud of those products by the look of the pricing. I appreciate the effort and help Dyer.. My goal was to find items that could be used in the same manor as those used on the blasting pot at a lesser price in attempt to help other poor folk like myself switch there pot over. If this 12v valve I have works it would save me $120.00 overall. Not much but it helps.

·
Todd
848 Posts
on the marco looking schematic...i would also like to mention that part no. 27 needs to be replaced with a regulator that allows you to blast at different pressures...i ordered mine form marco just because they had it on the shelf and i didnt have to go looking...it is a nice feature that i would recomend

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
Todd this is what you mean.
(theres a 27 on the bottom too.)

I need to put on my regulator on to, had some small parts to do, its hell at high psi...WOW

Kill sorry, I didn't know that was so exspencive

I like to find the better priceing too. helps the profit margen.

Like i said, mine came with the pot. when things start braking, I'll be looking for good prices too.

Found things like this http://www.granzow.com/univer/valves/AF/ ???

Attachments

·
Mobile Sandblasting
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Had a guy give me a 1" air regulator with guage 300psi. I was going to put this on my pot like Dyer did. However I am running 1 1/4" piping. How much hurt will I get if I reduce from 1-1/4" to 1" then back out? Would this not be a wise decision?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts