Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering how to best approach the replacement of old single pane, wood framed windows through 3 layers of siding.

The original window frames are too rotten to use pocket/remodel sashes, and they're also nearly buried in the outer most layer of aluminum lap siding. I'm planning to use standard vinyl single or double hung windows.

If I'm not going to be able to salvage the existing frames, does that limit me to "new construction" windows with fins and cut back the aluminum; add trim?

·
Registered
477 Posts
You can still use standard block frames. You will just need to flash it and seal it well. How you trim it, well that is up to you, aluminum wrap may be the best way.

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can still use standard block frames. You will just need to flash it and seal it well. How you trim it, well that is up to you, aluminum wrap may be the best way.
I guess cutting back the aluminum, to allow for the nailing flange, and then covering that with trim and j channel, tucked under the cut edges of the AL siding, would be best. Aluminum wrap would be the way to go if I can rent a brake.

·
Head sawdust creator
1,125 Posts
If the home owner is OK with a little smaller window, build a new frame inside the existing window rough opening. Order windows from your supplier that has a 2 inch reno brickmould with snap cover. Measure for new windows BM to BM from existing J channel or whatever is against the window jambs now. Allow about 3/16 to 1/4 inch each way so you don't have to fight window into place. Screw into place, replace snap cover and chaulk with paintable silicone. When ordering specify what ever wall depth you have, trim out and done!!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Don't forget about Egress and codes. Some places will not allow you to change the existing frame size unless you are bringing it to code. Here we can not make the frame smaller.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts