Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Design Build
8,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This house is only 12 years old. It was thrown up quick by the biggest builder in the region (who just went bankrupt). Back then maybe it was common to set the window straight onto the sheathing, and then butt the paper, and siding to the edge of the window. The top piece of trim did not have any of the z metal flashing...only caulk. I can surmise that the water landed on the top edge of the window, ran to the edges (behind the siding), then down the edges and ran off the side flanges onto the OSB [all behind the siding and paper]

Using flashing tape on the window flanges and metal flashing on the top trim would have stopped that. Then, at least, any water that might ever sneak in there would be kept on the siding side of the house-wrap.

Now the customer has to decide how far into the inspection for rot, they want this to go.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
We usually do what loneframer has pictured, but also run window tape around the window on the nailing flange and onto the flashing. Als a drip cap on top of the window is to required, along with caulking the J to the window...bottom and sides.

I really prefer windows with a solid nailing flange like the ones in the first pics. There are many houses out there like pictured above. Tons of swift working siding contractors in the last 15 years or so. I feel we will see some of the same with these companies slapping on new roofs, and paying the cheapest subs.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
This one leaked for 9 years. The HO had ants inside that room behind the wall. Had them exterminated, but never fixed the leak. This was facing north and the soffit dripped water almost constantly and never dried out.

·
Banned
658 Posts
that is major work that needs to be done. unfortunately its very costly to the home owner..we need to save these picks and show them to customers who insist on going with "the lowest bidder".

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I can see you and your gold chain reflecting in the window. Why are you nakkid?:blink:
'Cause I like to be nakkid.:thumbsup: Especially when it's 90 and humid. Plus the gunhook comes in handy.:laughing:

Reactions: rbsremodeling

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
We usually do what loneframer has pictured, but also run window tape around the window on the nailing flange and onto the flashing. Als a drip cap on top of the window is to required, along with caulking the J to the window...bottom and sides.

I really prefer windows with a solid nailing flange like the ones in the first pics. There are many houses out there like pictured above. Tons of swift working siding contractors in the last 15 years or so. I feel we will see some of the same with these companies slapping on new roofs, and paying the cheapest subs.
The bottom and sides of the paper as well as the flashing, go behind the window flange, which is caulked to the paper/flashing/ sheathing on top, with elastomeric caulk. The top paper is caulked to the outside of the window flange. I used to caulk my J to the window, but came to believe that the flashing will do it's job to exit any moisture thet gets past the J. I haven't found a tape that bonds well to the paper, including foil faced flashing tape. It releases soon after installation, so I don't use it. On windows with a continuous, integral flange I do not use head flashing, unless it is a multiple unit that has been mulled together. I think they are unsightly and again, the bottom flashing detail will force water back onto the face of the siding where it belongs.

Reactions: Tom Struble

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
This one leaked for 9 years. The HO had ants inside that room behind the wall. Had them exterminated, but never fixed the leak. This was facing north and the soffit dripped water almost constantly and never dried out.

I's amazing ,but I still find this alot.Expecially on reroofs.

Nobody seems to take the extra few minutes to pull that first piece of flashoing over the top of the siding.

Ten minutes work would haved hundreds in repairs.

WALLMAXX,
Of all the spots in the country,you'd think that the infiltration problems would have been addressed more diligently.
At least it got youv some work!

Ps:I think we're getting all your rain out here!!!.I'm going to be out there in a couple of weeks,I hope you're having a dry summer!

·
Design Build
8,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ps:I think we're getting all your rain out here!!!.I'm going to be out there in a couple of weeks,I hope you're having a dry summer!
In the 90s for the next 10 days at least...all the grass that isn't watered is dead.

But its a dry heat.;)

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
As I recall, it was about 12 years ago when people made the change from having nothing around the windows but siding and caulk to full window wraps. I worked on some new condos in Issaquah about that time where we nailed the windows right to the sheeting and let the siders go over it. Then I built some multiplexes in Bellevue right after that, where the superintendent wanted a full window wrap with Vicor, Moisttop, silicone and everything. Everyone was like, "what the heck is this?".

But yeah I'd tear off a sheet of osb and take a look. At least he got the silky side out though, for more water resistance.

·
Registered
124 Posts
As I recall, it was about 12 years ago when people made the change from having nothing around the windows but siding and caulk to full window wraps. I worked on some new condos in Issaquah about that time where we nailed the windows right to the sheeting and let the siders go over it. Then I built some multiplexes in Bellevue right after that, where the superintendent wanted a full window wrap with Vicor, Moisttop, silicone and everything. Everyone was like, "what the heck is this?".

But yeah I'd tear off a sheet of osb and take a look. At least he got the silky side out though, for more water resistance.
Yeah, I remenber when everything started to get Tyvek put on. I think it was back in '95 or '96. Mostly apartments and commercial units.
All of the siders thought it was bullsh*t and a huge pain in the ass. Back then we all carried 1' wide rolls of foil faced paper. You put it on all the corners and horizontal seams in the sheathing, that was it, no housewrap. Funny how things change.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
and.... old thread reactive of the week goes to!

anyhow.. as for window flashings.. ive seen plenty of windows that arent flashed properlyl.. homes with wood siding where the metal cap flashing is installed over top of the rain screen.. nailing flanges that get blueskinned but the blueskin is over top of the house wrap not under..

we framed a house 2 1/2 years ago where all we were hired to do was the structural and drop the windows in the openings. the sider was responsible for putting foam on, housewrap and sealing the windows.. all they did was blueskin over the wrap and not lap anytiung.. 6 months later there were all kinds of leaks from the windows.. the homeowner tried coming after us though we had nothing to do with the windows or the siding.. besides if we did do the siding the only way a window would have water coming in is if the homeowner leaves the window open in a storm.

our flashing detail involves a vycor sil pan, winow set into the opening. vycor on the side flange. then on the top flange then a metal cap flashing that goes over the vycor and is either under the house wrap or notched into the foam with another strip of vycor over the top edge of the cap flashing

1 - 20 of 20 Posts