Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-

As a favor, I am replacing my neighbors slider with a Codel out-swing French Door. The Door did not come with brickmould, but I'm not sure if I can even use brickmould in this situation. Normally, I would cut back some of the siding and attach brickmould. She has Vinyl siding that is very brittle, I'm worried that if I try to cut it, it will break. So, any advice on how to trim the exterior? I have attached pictures of the opening for advice.

Part two question... Silicon Adhesive vs. Poly Adhesive

Attachments

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
You could custom make a piece of PVC to go there. Depends on the look they want.

How sure are you that the siding would break? It's not cold right now so it should do ok...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could custom make a piece of PVC to go there. Depends on the look they want.

How sure are you that the siding would break? It's not cold right now so it should do ok...
When I started the project, I started to cut the siding on the lower left side of the opening, as soon as I start cutting it with a box cutter, the section just broke (The oddest thing I have ever seen). Lucky for me, the homeowner had 3 extra slates of the siding and I replaced it. However, she does not want me to take a chance to cut the rest because we do not have enough siding to replace broken ones. So I'm stuck with figuring out how to trim it. I might have to figure out a pvc, as you recommended.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pop off some siding, install door, install trim, reinstall siding.
While I appreciate your advice, it will not work. I have not seen any type of trim that will fit underneath the vinyl siding. Unless, your aware of some kind of product on the market that I have not seen.

·
Super Moderator
10,605 Posts
Why would you ever use a box cutter to cut vinyl siding? Choose the right tool and this is relatively easy when the temps are above freezing.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I gotta say,putting an out swing door in that location looks like a disaster waiting to happen.
At the very least ,I would build an overhang directly above that door,extended out a minimum of 1'.

Take a good look at how the manufacturer has accounted for the possibility of water intrusion and be extra cautious of how you seal the sill.Definitely use a sill pan since the height of the deck is so close to the door bottom.

As far as trimming the door out,use a grinder,with thin diamond blade ,as Tom suggested,take out the J ,and extend a flashing detail behind the siding to protect the sheathing before adding new trim.

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
Clearly you should stick to painting.

use the right tool for the job at hand.
you don't paint with a rag taped to a broom handle do you ?

It's vinyl siding. start at the top and take it all down.
remove light fixtures.

install door and seal to sheathing.

install pvc brick mold with built in j- channel.
re-install siding,

done in 4-5 hrs.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Where about are you from? If it is the snow region, ya might want to invest in the "snow plow" option being a outswing door with-out a step!

·
Been around
1,151 Posts
Sometimes you can't get a good answer because you are asking the wrong question.

As jaydee says, take the siding down.

If you unlock the course or two courses above the door and remove it all the way down, then you can trim it easily anyway you want. It will be done right and taking down 10 or twelve courses of siding takes less time than this discussion.

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
some old vinyl panels have a small barb on the lock that makes it almost impossible to pull down without damage
I've never had a piece of vinyl kick my AZZ.
one way or another , I'll get it apart, Undamaged

That siding not a old as dirt, it has the newer style light blocks.

just wrong method or technique

·
Registered
14,024 Posts
I've never had a piece of vinyl kick my AZZ.
one way or another , I'll get it apart, Undamaged

That siding not a old as dirt, it has the newer style light blocks.

just wrong method or technique
Me neither. Old Certinteed had a hard lock button its not a big deal. Just take things slow.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
I'm not saying thats the case the op is presenting here

notice the small interlocking barb on both locks,over time the vinyl isn't flexible enough to disengage it

and it's not always necessary to pull the siding to replace windows and doors,cut back for a 4'' trim detail is really all you would need to do imo

Attachments

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Tom Struble said:
I'm not saying thats the case the op is presenting here notice the small interlocking barb on both locks,over time the vinyl isn't flexible enough to disengage it and it's not always necessary to pull the siding to replace windows and doors,cut back for a 4'' trim detail is really all you would need to do imo
Tom, could you elaborate on the trim detail?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts